Kit taste vs young wine??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I am bottling my WE Italian amarone. As of now it tastes like a charred oak barrel. (done per instructions + a month. I didn't want to let it go any longer. Topping up with wine that costs $40+ a bottle is not an option). Exactly the same as my Lodi ranch cab tasted and my Chilean Malbec. Is this what people describe as "kit taste"? I know the wines I have bottled months ago taste nothing like this anymore. Or is it young wine I am tasting? Or is it the same thing? Maybe I am just lucky and can't taste kit?? Some day I'll grow my own grapes and will know for sure. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I am bottling my WE Italian amarone. As of now it tastes like a charred oak barrel. Exactly the same as my Lodi ranch cab tasted and my Chilean Malbec. Is this what people describe as "kit taste"? I know the wines I have bottled months ago taste nothing like this anymore. Or is it young wine I am tasting? Or is it the same thing? Maybe I am just lucky and can't taste kit?? Some day I'll grow my own grapes and will know for sure. What are your thoughts?

Here are some of my thoughts from an earlier post:

All young wines I have had in my life share a certain taste, from noveau Beaujolais, to Frankfurter Apfelwein, to Austrian heuriger, to my own kit wines. I don't know if it is just the CO2 or something else, but the "young" taste goes away with time.

I think that SOME of what we describe as KT is just "young wine." However, I think there is some sort of "tang" with my kits that is not there with any commercial wine.

My "taster" has commented on the "tang" in several of my concoctions and we have concluded that CO2 is the culprit. After several degassing sessions prior to bottling, taste and mouthfeel improved considerably.

IMO WE kits exhibit a bit more kit taste than other kits. It disipates but it could take a year. 1 month after bottling is WAY to soon.

Latest posts

Back