Kit recomendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
Okay, I have a 6gal batch of Dave's DB clearing and a 6 gal batch of a Prickly Pear that just went into the secondary and I find myself with an empty primary sitting next to another empty 6 gal carboy. Seeing those empty is starting to bug me. I think I would like to try a "real" wine so I look to you veterans of the vine for some advice on which to choose as my first. I don't want to spend a ton of dollars but I don't want to be skimpy either. My wife and I don't usually spend a bunch on wine and we don't usually drink it on a regular basis...yet. I am open to almost any wine. I haven't really had a wine I didn't like. I am more partial to reds that are a bit on the dry side. My wife is more of a fan of sweeter wines such as port or mascato. If given the choice, and not knowing much about wines when I get to the store, I usually get a bottle or two of a Mondovi Cab or Merlot. I seem to be more partial to the merlots though. My wife and I have found that we do both enjoy Menage a Trois by Folie A Deux. Please let me know if you have any specific questions that will help you aid me in my new purchase.

David,
check the Kit section of this forum.
There are tons of reviews down there.

There are a number of high end kits that make great wine. If you want to spend a bit less, you could go with the RJS Cellar Classic Rosso Grande. It is a 15L kit with no skins, but makes a very nice wine. If you are not familiar with it I believe it is a Cab/Merlot/Sangiovese blend, but it may have a few other varietals in there. You can get it delivered for about $120 from FVW.

Okay, I'll have to admit, I seriously choked on my coffee this morning from laughter when I read your post Paul. I didn't get it right away since I opened the link you provided and then saw the post from Jeri so I had to go back a reread it. I guess I'll need to be a little more specific in the future. lol. I'll check out the links provided and look into the RJS kits. Thanks all.

Okay, I'll have to admit, I seriously choked on my coffee this morning from laughter when I read your post Paul. I didn't get it right away since I opened the link you provided and then saw the post from Jeri so I had to go back a reread it. I guess I'll need to be a little more specific in the future. lol. I'll check out the links provided and look into the RJS kits. Thanks all.

I am glad you got a laugh. Menage a Trois (which, innocently enough, just means "household of three" :i), is a blend of Zin, Cab Sauv, and Merlot. You could try WineExpert's California Zinfandel/Shiraz, although I still think a Merlot will meet your needs the best.

Okay, I have a 6gal batch of Dave's DB clearing and a 6 gal batch of a Prickly Pear that just went into the secondary and I find myself with an empty primary sitting next to another empty 6 gal carboy. Seeing those empty is starting to bug me. I think I would like to try a "real" wine so I look to you veterans of the vine for some advice on which to choose as my first. I don't want to spend a ton of dollars but I don't want to be skimpy either. My wife and I don't usually spend a bunch on wine and we don't usually drink it on a regular basis...yet. I am open to almost any wine. I haven't really had a wine I didn't like. I am more partial to reds that are a bit on the dry side. My wife is more of a fan of sweeter wines such as port or mascato. If given the choice, and not knowing much about wines when I get to the store, I usually get a bottle or two of a Mondovi Cab or Merlot. I seem to be more partial to the merlots though. My wife and I have found that we do both enjoy Menage a Trois by Folie A Deux. Please let me know if you have any specific questions that will help you aid me in my new purchase.

Wife and I are Folie A Deux fans as well. At $6.47 a bottle at HEB, its hard to beat for commercial. Let me know what you come up with. If I could make home made wine like this, I would be in Heaven.

Shane

Back