WineXpert Kit lid on bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Junior
Reaction score
How do some of you get the lid off and pour the juice? I have pole cat hell getting the lid in position in the box in order to take the lid off. I can not handel a 16 gal kit by hand and have to leave it in the box. Invaribly in the spagnoles kit the bag lidis always put in the box opposite where they have designed the box lid to hold the top (lid). I have to cut a hole in the box top lid over the top of thecap of the bagin order to get the bag lid topthrough the top of the box. I use a screw driver to get the lid off. How do you guys handel this situation??Edited by: Chief

smiley2.gif
Don't tell my dentist, but I usually use my teeth to get a grip on thelid, and it comes off easily.

I've seen the cap removers for the Brew King kits, just a big bottle opener, maybe George carries them.

I find it easier to get the lid off and remove the bag from the box to pour into the fermenter.

I get scarred to think what might lerk in the box so I remove the entire bag and wipe it down with a "damp tissue" knowing to remove any foreign clinging debris. A "third hand" is very helpful but "rarely available." I found it easier to have another 5-gallon bucket beside it with a lid to support the bag. That way you can take a "breather" and slowly remove the cap without any strain or worry. Works for me!

I move thelid/neck of the bagto correct spot buy pulling it up and over so I can position it correctly. I then press out the perforated cut outs on the box that hold the lip of the bag in the correct position. Now the duck tape comes into play to tape down the flaps so the neck of the spout stays in the correct position. To pop the top I use my handy retractable razor knife and cut a few slits then it usually pops off using the tip of the knife. Now I am ready to pour...into a bucket fermenter on the floor is no problem alone but when I use my V-Vessel mounted to the wall I need a helper to hold a large funnel in place so I can handle the box.Edited by: masta

I take the bag out of the box and set it next to the bucket. The bucket is placed next to an immoval object, like a counter. Then I twist the cap to loosen it. I use my thumbnail to pry open the top and 9 times out of ten, I scrape my knuckle on the lid and have to get a band-aid so I do not get any blood in my wine.

I will check with my distributor and see if he has any openers. If he does, they will be included in a special, soon. It sounds like this is a major sore subject with all of us. The things winemakers will do just to make their wine.

Thanks for all the feedback on this subject.

Thanks for the input. I noticed in my post I said 16 gal. For sure I can't deal with that size. how about 16 Lt.????

Chief

I think everybody knew you were talking about 16 liters. In fact, I did not even read the gallon part. I saw 16 and my brain said liters.

Same here! Funny how that works.

Yep, I need one of those cap removers. Good thang I am usually home alone when trying to remove those caps!
smiley2.gif

I am usually isolated also, but by choice, if not I'd probably teach my kids a few new phases I know my wife wouldn't approve of.

George,

Let us know if you get those cap removers.

I fabricated an opener from stainless steel. It's shaped like the old time Coka Cola bottle opener, just a little larger. I find it easy to transfer my baged & boxed concentrate by placing my box on the counter opening the lid with my supper dopper cap remover.Inserting my racking cane, a couple of sucks on the siphon tube. place in fermenter& 5 min. later remove cane, take bag to the sink put a couple cups of water in, flush bag & pour into fermenter. Works for me.Edited by: RigDiver

M.J. Thanks for the cudos. While on the subject of lids. I have a opener I use to open my fermenter. It came from ACE hardware & was made to remove lids from 5 gal. plasic paint buckets. which I usefor my fermenter.Made by Linzer/American. At my age I need all the help I can get.

Edited by: RigDiver

Jim, I am glad that you mentioned about the 5-gallon opener. I am forever either injuring my fingers or nails trying to open "drywall" buckets which I presoak my collected bottles in. I hammer them closed-filled to the top with a mild solution to loosen any debris, and labels. I did not know that a tool was available. Cool, I'll check the stores. Thanks again!
smiley32.gif

Back