Cellar Craft Kit fermenting faster then the instructions say it should

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfmonk

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting a Lodi Old Vine Zin and it seems to be going faster than the instructions say it should. It is still fermenting but the SG is lower than what it says it should be to add the finings. I know from my experiences with beer that many times the speed at which the yeast ferments is a function of temperature. I just racked the must into the secondary fermenter and the SG was at .996 (the day before it was just over 1.000). The instructions state that after racking to the secondary wait 10 days and when the SG gets to .998 or less to clear the must and let it stay in the carboy for another twenty days before bottling. So my question, after all that, is do I add the finings to clear the must or do I wait the ten days?

The actual speed of fermentation depends on a lot of factors, temperature being a primary one. Don't worry about the speed at this point.

Even though the SG is very low, still leave the wine in secondary the amount of time the instructions say. Good things happen to the wine during secondary, regardless of the SG reading.

Latest posts

Back