Keeping peaches from turning color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
Ive got 60 pounds of quartered peaches put up in the freezer. I read a thread on here at some point answering my question but i can not find it now. What should i add to the peaches when i mash them up and put them in the fermenter to keep the peaches from turning brown?

Spray them with a light sulphite solution and don't use any in the primary. Sugar water and citric acid can also work if. Never done them, but I know they help preserve color.

As I cleaned the peaches, skinned and de-stonned them, I dropped them in a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice. When I was done, I drained them in a colander and put them in zip-lock freezer bags. Old canning trick.

As I cleaned the peaches, skinned and de-stonned them, I dropped them in a bowl of water with a splash of lemon juice. When I was done, I drained them in a colander and put them in zip-lock freezer bags. Old canning trick.

Ohhh ok. Ive already got my peaches de stoned in the freezer...but i will dip them in the solution once they thaw

Last edited:
Sammyk said:

Yes we do the same thing !!we mainly use this for canning also. Great step prior to freezing !

As I destoned and cut up my peaches, i just squirt the lemon juice in the bag.. I use gallon size bags, so I cant wait for the bag to be full.. Takes 3-4 light squirts as the bag fills up to keep the peaches from browning.. Roll the peach slices around to make sure to cover them all

Vitamin C works well as some here have mentioned too

JohnT Make sure you buy freestone peaches. When split cut in half the pit will pop right out with a knife. What we do is bring a large pot of water to a boil. When the water is boiling drop in what ever the pot will hold in the way of peaches. Leave for a couple of minutes and then remove them with a slotted spoon to a large bowl or pot of cold water. With a knife score the lightly around the line of the peach that will cut it in half. The skin will rub off with your hands very easily.
The pit will be very easy to remove then. Drop them in another container of water that has a couple of splashes of lemon juice. Then drain off the water in a colander and add them to a gallon size Zip lock bag and when you are done add all the bags to the freezer.

The first peaches to come into season are what are called cling peaches. The pit is not easy to remove and the flesh will cling to the fruit. That are not generally very flavorful either.

The very best peach for eating, canning and eating is Red Haven. If you can't find Red Haven, most of the later peaches are free stone.

When our girls were younger we had many fruit trees and a very large garden. Of course back then we did not make wine. We canned and froze all summer long. Now that we are semi retired we no longer grow our own. The freestone peaches produce later in the season. Ask the farmer if you are buying freestone peaches. They will tell you.

Even now our 2 daughters still remember the taste of those run-down-your-arm juicy home canned or frozen peaches!

Naturally those kind of peaches will also make the best wine! Everyone who has had our fresh peach wine raves for it and ask for more. We limited them to one bottle because we kept the rest for ourselves.
Of all the wines , close to a 1,000 bottles now, the peach is still our very favorite.

You are probably using cling-stone peaches. The free-stone varieties are suppose to be better for winemaking.

My wife uses pineapple juice to keep apples slices from turning brown when she has then on platters and such. I guess that could work too

Back