K-meta and Campden Tablets...Confused!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
So K-Meta is Pottasium Metabisulphite and campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphite.

K-meta is to kill wild yeast (says on the bottle)

I read that campden should be added to fruits to sterilize the fruit before fermenting. So what is it that kills the yeast? Is it the potassium because both have metabisulphite? I am always confused on this becasue some post say they are almost for the same thing but how would the yeast survive and populate if it is added BEFORE you pitch the yeast?

Also, can campden tablets be used to sterilize my bottles before bottling? Right now I use an iodine solution to sanitize but it seems this would be much cheaper and easier route.

Any clarification would be great as to why the yeast can still thrive if campden is added beforehand. Thanks!

The campden added before fermentation kills the wild yeast. It will dissipate in about 24 hours. The yeast you add is tolerant to so2 (campden, k-meta and sodium metabisulfite are all so2). This way, you can control the strain of the yeast in your wine and its unique characteristics. And yes, campden will work fine for sanitation.

K-meta can be used to sterilize your equipment in the right strength. Campden tablets can either be of the sodium meta or potassium meta. Most people avoid using the sodium meta in the must so as to no add salt. The wine yeasts can tolerate the k-meta in the must where it will kill or stunt wild yeasts.

So instead of using the campden tablets (mine are Sodium) I could just use the k-meta, wait 24 hours and pitch the yeast? and i can also use the k-meta to sterilize? At what solution? 1/4 tea. per 6 gallons or make it stronger?

What are the negative effects of salt in the wine?

For fresh juice its, 1/4 tsp of k-meta 24 hours prior to fermentation. For sanitizing, i think its 2 or 3 tsp. per gallon plus I add 1/2 tsp acid blend.
Not many folks use campden tablets, they are partialy fillers to hold the tablet form.

I have made several batches using canned juices. Some people say it should already be sterile. is it still a good idea to add it before just for precaution?

I have made several batches using canned juices. Some people say it should already be sterile. is it still a good idea to add it before just for precaution?

I have gone both ways with bottled juices and the fear of either stopping the fermentation just short of dry by adding k-meta or something happening by not adding it soon enough has got me to just always add it at the beginning, now it's just habit.

Theoretically you would not need to add KMS (k-meta) to a commercially available canned/bottled juice if BUT KMS does more than just kill wild yeast. It serves as an antioxidant and inhibits bacterial growth.

For sanitizing, make a 1.25% sulfite solution, mix 3 tablespoons of K-Meta /Na-Meta with 1 gallon of water...or 4 finely crushed Campden tabs per quart of water/16 tabs per gallon.This sulfite solution can be safely stored and reused for up to one year. I store in a WELL MARKED 1-gallon jug with a poisonous sticker...but you can use anything that has a seal. In addition, I put some of the sulfite solution in a spray bottle, also well marked. That way you always have some handy. To determine if the sulfite solution is still good, smell it. PLEASE NOTE: the smell can be very potent and harmful to asthmatics; therefore, the best way is to open the jug and waif the fumes toward your nose. If you can ’t detect a strong sulphur smell, it is losing its effectiveness and it is time to replace.
Use up the SMS/Na-meta/Na-Campden by using it for sanitizing solution. Comes in handy around the house.

Also, have no fear that adding KMS to your ferment kills the active yeast...it may stun them momentarily but they will come back. That is probably the #1 misinformation out there: just add KMS and sorbate to your must, it will stop the ferment and kill all the yeast right there. If it were only that simple.

Also, maintaining sterility is impossible in home setting. Cleaning and sanitizing is the norm, for all of your equipment. Minus corks, I do NOT get corks wet, expose to vapor, sure.

Last edited:
So K-Meta is Pottasium Metabisulphite and campden tablets are Sodium Metabisulphite.

K-meta is to kill wild yeast (says on the bottle)

I read that campden should be added to fruits to sterilize the fruit before fermenting. So what is it that kills the yeast? Is it the potassium because both have metabisulphite? I am always confused on this becasue some post say they are almost for the same thing but how would the yeast survive and populate if it is added BEFORE you pitch the yeast?

Also, can campden tablets be used to sterilize my bottles before bottling? Right now I use an iodine solution to sanitize but it seems this would be much cheaper and easier route.

Any clarification would be great as to why the yeast can still thrive if campden is added beforehand. Thanks!

Read saramc's info above. It's the only post that is totally correct. Thank you saramc.

LOUMIK:br

On the subject of Campden Tablets vs K/Na-meta, use up the Campden Tablets that you have and go for one of the powders in the future. There is no reason to spend the time and effort to crush them when you can grab a dose with a measuring spoon.

Just to clarify, Sarah, did you mean to say that if you cannot smell strong sulfur then the solution is losing its effectiveness?

NS

Getting too much of a whiff of it will really burn your nasal passages. It's the sulfite gas that it gives off that does the sanitizing. One other thing, it is very corrosive to metals, so careful with your corking machine, or putting it in a jar with a metal cap, or having it in contact with any other metal.

Latest posts

Back