Just got my floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please never soak your corks if you're using a floor corker. Just insert right out of the bag.

Not arguing the point, but just out of curiosity, why not?

I soaked my corks today before using my floor corker and now you have me concerned.

Not arguing the point, but just out of curiosity, why not?

I soaked my corks today before using my floor corker and now you have me concerned.

KMeta is very corrosive and will rust out that corker in a hurry.

As an alternative to soaking, leave your corks in a 'corkidor'. Place a jar/bottle with some KMeta in it into a bucket, put your corks into the bucket and snap the lid down. The fumes will keep the corks sanitized without leaving a liquid residue.

KMeta is very corrosive and will rust out that corker in a hurry.

As an alternative to soaking, leave your corks in a 'corkidor'. Place a jar/bottle with some KMeta in it into a bucket, put your corks into the bucket and snap the lid down. The fumes will keep the corks sanitized without leaving a liquid residue.

Wow, Jim.
You captured one of the wine gremlins in your aviator. I always wondered what them little buggers looked like. Arne.

Just a quick follow-up. I went to Home Depot and got a package of four rubber "feet" for $2.99. Came with wood screws, so I grabbed three 10/32 * 1/2 inch round head machine screws from the garage, and lock nuts and washers. Mounted these on the bottom of the corker. Works nicely.

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

Mine sits on an old concrete floor. Those pads look good, I cant scratch anything, but they should help it stay put and keep from wearing the metal feet out. I like it, Arne.

For those who have these things, a question. Is there some reason why you have to change the depth adjustment for different size bottles? I had it set just right (and taped in place) for my 375's, and went to bottle a 750 and it went too deep. I'm sure there's some obvious geometry reason or something, but I was never real good at stuff like that.

How do you guys deal with getting the adjustment right? Waste corks re-bottling until it's set right?

I only have a problem using the short 375's I have to add a block of wood to increase the height of the bottle , but the depth of the cork has never changed,

They have depth adjustment, but you normally don't have to change it. The two common settings are:

1) flush with top. So, you want a slight countersink, since that is better than not far enough.
2) Countersink so that you can apply a wax cap.

just-a -guy

I have the same floor corker that you have. I do have to adjust it when I go from a wine bottle with a thin lip to one with a thick lip or back. I have many different kinds of wine bottles.
The floor corker has a groove for the lip (top edge of the bottle) to fit into. If the lip on the bottle is thick or wide, it does not fit into the groove as far and the cork will not seat as deep.

If all of your bottles have the same type of top or lip you shouldn't need to change the setting.

The floor corker is the best winemaking tool I have.
Dave

I have the same floor corker that you have. I do have to adjust it when I go from a wine bottle with a thin lip to one with a thick lip or back. I have many different kinds of wine bottles.
The floor corker has a groove for the lip (top edge of the bottle) to fit into. If the lip on the bottle is thick or wide, it does not fit into the groove as far and the cork will not seat as deep.

If all of your bottles have the same type of top or lip you shouldn't need to change the setting.

The floor corker is the best winemaking tool I have.
Dave

Hm. That makes sense, thanks.

I find the adjustment nut is very loose and easily slides or moves out of place. Kind of frustrating. I tried some electrical tape on the threads, but it doesn't hold up well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to "stiffen up"?

I find the adjustment nut is very loose and easily slides or moves out of place. Kind of frustrating. I tried some electrical tape on the threads, but it doesn't hold up well. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to "stiffen up"?

+1 on the locktite but in the old days before that came out we used to put a little nail polish on the threads and the nut to keep them from backing off. ;)

You could try replacing the current nut with a nylon insert lock nut.

Who knew a wine forum would eventually talk about nail polish and nylons???

Ha. Makes perfect sense to me....

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I have some Loctite, will try that. I thought about a lock nut (or just a second nut to lock up against the existing one), but it looked like a little "bump" thing on the bottom of the plunger might prevent that. I'll try it later. Anyone actually done that on a Portuguese corker?

I thought about a lock nut (or just a second nut to lock up against the existing one), but it looked like a little "bump" thing on the bottom of the plunger might prevent that.

That was my concern, too, which is why I suggested the loctite, etc. Then I thought "Hey, how is that threaded plunger attached to the body, anyway?" Maybe it could be removed and another nut added. I didn't get a chance to look at it since having that thought.

Back