Just Checking In

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enologo

Reaction score
Just wanted to check in and say Hello. Ive been lurking for awhile and figured I'd better register so I can participate. I actually just started making wine last September. My brother-in-law has been brewing beer for a couple of years now and convinced me we should try the wine making. Our first batch we did together was a Merlot and of course we rushed it and it was a bit fizzy but we drank it and it was Wine we had made ourselves. At this point I was totally addicted to this most rewarding pastime and began making my own. Since then I have made and finished off a Barbera, currently bottled and half gone a Petit Sirah. In the Demijohn-Bulk aging another Merlot, In the carboys - Coastal Red, Pinot Noir, Meza Luna Red. In the Fermenter - Pinot Grigio. I am so looking forward to tapping into the wealth of wisdom here to improve my skills.:D

Wine Made from Muscadines

I am glad to have foud this forum. One of our customers told us about it.

We are the largest and oldest grower of muscadine vines in the country. In fact through the muscadine breeding program on our farm we have developed and released over 30 new and improved muscadines,,, many are considered the best on the market today.

Hope you will check us out. We offer a free catalog on request.

muscadine-vines

Hi IsonsNursery,

Welcome to WineMakingTalk. Would u guys be willing to ship some muscadine vines to PA

Welcome, Ecolono and IsonsNursery and cheers! would not mind a couple of those Muscadine vines here in Illinois as well.

I

Last edited:
Yes we can

yes - we ship plants all across the country. This is a blog that we wrote in Feb about wine varieites for the south. In case you are interested.

http://isons.com/blog/muscadine/best-wine-varieties-for-the-south/

Muscadine Grapes

Muscadines thrive in the southeastern United States. They can handle the heat and humidity we experience during the summer months and enjoy our mild winters. Muscadines have a relatively low chill hour requirement of less than 300 hours below 45 degrees yet they break bud late in the spring eliminating any risk of late spring frost affecting the blooms. They have very few disease or insect issues and can be grown organically if desired. The following is a list of muscadine varieties that are recommended for making wine.

The Noble Muscadine is the standard for red muscadine wine

Noble Muscadine- black self-fertile about a ½ inch in diameter. Noble is the standard for red muscadine wine in the Southeastern United States. It is a very vigorous muscadine vine that has great fruit set and is very cold weather tolerant. The color of the pressed grapes is a very pure red color that is similar to that of a merlot or cabernet. If there are any drawbacks of this variety it is that sometimes you may not achieve the explosive muscadine flavor, for that reason some wineries have begun to blend Noble with the Ison variety at a rate of 70% Ison to 30% Noble to have the benefit of the Noble color and the flavor of the Ison muscadine variety.

The Ison
muscadine has an explosive muscadine flavor.

Ison Muscadine - black self-fertile about a 1 1/8 inch diameter. The Ison muscadine is relatively new to the wine industry beginning in the early 1980’s. From a size and production stand point the Ison variety exceeds Noble. It is a vigorous variety, sets enormous crops, but sometimes maybe vulnerable to extreme cold temperatures. If there is a drawback to the Ison variety, it is that sometimes the deep red color is not achieved as easily as with the Noble muscadine however the Ison muscadine has an explosive muscadine flavor. The Ison muscadine variety is also being blended with Noble for color and flavor.

The Carlos muscadine is the standard for white muscadine wine.

Carlos Muscadine – bronze self -fertile about ½ inch in diameter. The Carlos muscadine is the standard for white muscadine wine in the Southeastern United States. The Carlos muscadine variety is very vigorous and productive. Carlos can withstand cold weather very well and the fruit has a light pinkish color at peak ripeness.

Tara Muscadine – bronze self- fertile about 1 1/8 inch in diameter. We began recommending the Tara muscadine variety about 10 years ago for wine production. By chance we had some over ripe Tara fruit that we gave to a local wine maker and we were all very impressed with the end result. Tara has a very unique color; I refer to it as a honey gold color. The aroma is the strongest and purest muscadine aroma that I have ever come across. If this variety has any drawbacks it is that it has low vigor, the plants like to sucker out more than most muscadine varieties. Tara also has a tendency for cold weather injury in extreme cold temps.

Magnolia Muscadine -bronze self-fertile about ½ inch in diameter. Magnolia along withCarlos are the most widely planted bronze varieties in the south. The Magnolia is vigorous, productive, and cold tolerant.

The Dixie Red muscadine is very productive and cold weather tolerant.

Dixie Red Muscadine -bronze self-fertile about and 1 1/8 in diameter. Dixie red is very productive, cold weather tolerant, and vigorous. Dixie red gives growers something that is a little different from Carlos and Magnolia yet still makes a high quality wine.

Noble w watermark_edited-1.jpg

Carlos on vine.jpg

Back