Juice extraction suggestion any replay will do!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juventude

Reaction score
I have read about several methods to extract the juice from fruit, soaking, boiling steaming, pressing, etc…

My question is which of these will give the best result?

And I don’t have a press and still thinking that I’m still a newbie and don’t want to invest in one until I’m quite sure that I will actually proceed with this hobby, do you have any suggestions how can I assemble a press in the DIY method :)

thanks for any help …

images
sure you have two presses :)

freezing them first seems to break them down and extrat more juice - even if you have to hand squeeze it

Which method is best depends on the fruit. That's one reason there are so many methods!

I froze my home grown strawberries let them thaw and pressed them by hand it wasn't hard but it was rewarding knowing
I grew them.;)

I am leery of any post asking for "best" results. No such thing. Only "different" results.

If you are not wanting to invest in equipment, then IMHO freeze your fruit and use 5-gallon paint strainers available at Lowe's or Home Depot for a bag. Wash the strainers and sanitize them before use.

Thaw your fruit and add pectic enzyme, then pour your thawed fruit and juices through the bag. Tie the top of the bag with a sanitized string or a piece of sanitized fishing line, squeeze lightly to release juices, and leave it in your primary bucket with your must. Add k meta or Campden per recipe and let it all sit a day, then proceed with your recipe.

Stir daily and squeeze the bag lightly to release more juices.

When your wine has finished primary, simply twist and squeeze the bag to extract all the remaining juices, then discard it (they are cheap) or empty it of its contents and clean it for re-use later. There should be very little left of the fruit. Allow the wine to settle a day, then rack off into a carboy.

My favorite way is to first use a press to press off the juices in two pressings, but this method works just as well if you have no equipment, and I have used it a lot.

What Jim said, there is no best way, only what works for you the wine maker. I use a steam juicer on just about everything I make. It has more to do with time than anything else. I can pick, freeze, steam juice, and can the fruit juice for storing. Then when I have time I can make some wine. I can also space out my wines this way and also mix fruits I pick that don't come on the same time of year.

What Jim said, there is no best way, only what works for you the wine maker. I use a steam juicer on just about everything I make. It has more to do with time than anything else. I can pick, freeze, steam juice, and can the fruit juice for storing. Then when I have time I can make some wine. I can also space out my wines this way and also mix fruits I pick that don't come on the same time of year.

excellent idea! Thanks!

I just use my common household blender haha....

Will that be a problem..?

I blend it, then put everything into the wine before straining it.

I just use my common household blender haha....

Will that be a problem..?

I blend it, then put everything into the wine before straining it.

Just a question - when you are blending does the product you are using have seeds in it ?
I have always been told never break the seeds otherwise you will have bitterness - just food for thought

vacuumpumpman said:
Just a question - when you are blending does the product you are using have seeds in it ?
I have always been told never break the seeds otherwise you will have bitterness - just food for thought

Actually right now I'm using too a coomon food processor for some type of fruit... Yes you will have seeds in the end but I do the first racking as soon as possible any by that I eliminate all the seeds ... Till now I had no problems about bitterness but that is why I'm searching for other methods to eliminate the possibility that this could happen... You know always try to improve ;)

I like to freeze all fruits if possible and then put the thru the crusher
I will ferment and as this picture shows I can then can pour the slurry into the bag which the outside pipe is holding it in place, you could either make a small press like the one I was given or just use your body weight if you must - just a thought

DSCN2204 [600x450].JPG

while I am working, I came across a supplier for fruit press, called Voran, they supply the fruit press around 5000 eur per machine, but yeah, thats for wineries use I guess.

Anyhow, about the blender I did stuff like apples, pink guava, pineapple. I guess fruits like strawberries are a big nono

Espoir said:
while I am working, I came across a supplier for fruit press, called Voran, they supply the fruit press around 5000 eur per machine, but yeah, thats for wineries use I guess.

Anyhow, about the blender I did stuff like apples, pink guava, pineapple. I guess fruits like strawberries are a big nono

Definity 5000 eur are too much I think you can come across a lot cheaper stuff which will still be quite good.... About strawberries I did mine according to recepie with pulp, water, pectin and sugar. Left for 24 hrs and pressed by hand...

Latest posts

Back