Juice bucket blast-off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
Picked up three L'uva Bella buckets yesterday. Got them in a place to warm up and gave them a stir this morning. Right now they're all fermenting to a point that the loosely placed lids are getting pushed up by the foam. Any idea on how much, if any, overflow I should be concerned about?

BC

You shouldn't have overflow, I didn't on any of mind. What did you get?

Thanks Paul, the LHBS doesn't have ferm cap but they do have ANTI-FOAM AGENT POWDER. I had no idea such agents existed. I'll put some rags down overnight and reassess the need in the morning.

BC

Thanks for the reply Julie. I got Carmenere, Malbec and a Syrah. Do you tweak yours or leave them be?

I also got a call today from a customer whose pails were fermenting over the top. Pails that come from Luva Bella's are very generously filled well over the 6 gallon mark.

I got Malbec, zinfindal and a Sangiovese, they were filled pretty much to the top, I decided not to do much on stirring, they ferment very well without stirring and without brew belts. Acid levels are always inline before fermenting but I have added tartaric after fermentation in the past and I plan on adding finishing tannins.

I find that all my reds are much more vigorous fermenters than my whites. I pull 3 1/2 quarts off my whites and put that in a 4 liter glass jug, ferment the balance in the 6 gallon bucket, no overflow problem (ferment the glass jug too). On my reds, I transfer the 6 gallons into a 7.9 gallon fermenter and sometimes still slightly overflow. I am not sure if the yeasts used with the reds are more aggressive or what??? I ferment my reds and whites at the same temps, usually start in the 60's and ramp up to the low 70's.

I have decided from now on, I will ferment the reds in a larger 10 gallon "Brute" until they get down to 1.020, by then the aggressive behavior is over.

Overall...with reds, get them into a larger fermenter...do not try them in the bucket they were delivered in...and even a 7.9 gallon fermenter is not big enough at times.

Good luck. Oh, my Chilean buckets are Petite Sirah and Pinot Gris.

-Tony

I also like fermenting in a larger headspace are - so typically I will put them in a larger fermenter container

As with many things in wine making, the tincture of time is a strong ally. Checked on the buckets this morning, no more massive foam, just the pleasant sizzle of happy fermentation.

Me Likey

I picked up 5 pails, I removed the lids and placed them on "crooked". I left them alone until sg @ 1.02, then splash racked into the carboy with raisins and tannin. I had no spill over at all. NO STIRRING in the bucket.

The problem I had is that the pails are filled to more than 6 gallons, so I had to scramble for extra 1 gal containers for the surplus. I have a few 1 gal blends. That will be interesting.

Last edited:
I picked up 5 pails, I removed the lids and placed them on "crooked". I left them alone until sg @ 1.02, then splash racked into the carboy with raisins and tannin. I had no spill over at all. NO STIRRING in the bucket.

The problem I had is that the pails are filled to more than 6 gallons, so I had to scramble for extra 1 gal containers for the surplus. I have a few 1 gal blends. That will be interesting.

I am interested in yours, please post up how they turn out.

Read a long time ago to remove 1/2 gallon or so from primary (buckets and kits) to allow for aggressive initial fermentation. To be added back when racking to secondary. And yes, Lu'Va Bella is generous!!

Latest posts

Back