Job Opening in California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see nothing wrong with the way it is written, even if it is a joke. You would not believe how many people "try" sales for all kinds of reasons, including having no other options, but who cannot sell. I was a sales director in a former life, and had I been able to say some of those things in my ads for salespeople, I could have saved myself some time.

Let's go ahead and look at the "offer." Straight commission sales is a very, very tough game, and only the best and most persistent salespeople can survive at it for long.

On the downside, 15% straight commission is low for straight commission sales. I also don't see anything about a draw vs. commission to keep the bills paid until a 15% settle-up. Those are two things I'd want to see in any straight commission sales job I applied for.

For those who don't know how it works, your draw is a base pay you get every week. It is then settled up against your commission. We used to settle up monthly. This way the successful salesperson does not experience the wide whipsaw effect from wildly swinging weekly or biweekly commission paydays. It also is an excellent yardstick for minimum performance. If the salesperson cannot cover their draw, there's a problem.

So say your draw is $300 weekly. You'd get $900 in the first 3 weeks of the month, then your commission sales would be calculated to cover your draw and supply your fourth week's pay. To earn $1,200 a month (covering 3 weeks of draw at $900 plus a fourth week at $300), you'd need to sell $8,000 in wine. That's $96,000 in sales annually for a $14,400 annual commission.

Our California forum members can explain how far $14,400 annually can get you in California.

I also don't see details about mileage and sales expenses. I'd definitely want to ask about those.

Last edited:
It may surprise no one to learn that the biggest complaint that I had about the ad and the website was the nearly constant use of the possessive pronoun your when they meant the contraction you're.

Dolts.

I can believe that, I noticed that and English isn't my first language, since I am an Engineer. It is probably just an overreaction on my part, but having errors like that on your website make me wonder how much attention you are paying to everything else, like your winemaking. I'll pass on their wine as well.

Latest posts

Back