January 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raelene,

I found a mead kit for $19.99 that makes a 1 gallon batch. I'm considering getting it next month's club wine. They offer dry, semi sweet, lavender, and one with ginger/grains of paradise. I just can't decide which one to go with!
Do you think Jeri the lavender I have might work in a wine?
Oooohhhh, lavender!

They all sound pretty yummy! Paper, Rock, Scissors? Or maybe Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe?
same question Raelene about lavender

Open question to all you WOTM members what do you think of following pics? Have any of you ever tried Elderflower? Looking for some ideas!

would the elderflowers go with elderberries, or no?

Lavender, what would I use with it?

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

Hmm, I've heard both elderberries and elderflowers make good wine, but usually the berries are for reds and the flowers are for whites.

I've made lilac mead and it's really good, but you have to let the flowers take the stage (if you ask me). I would think the same with lavender or with elderflowers.

Also, now I'm really interested to know what the onion wine smells like. :f ?

Do you know specifically what type of lavender you are growing? I know there are different strains used for fragrance and others used for their medicinal qualities. From what I understand, the fragrant lavender is better used in foods/drink and the medicinal better used in tinctures, etc.

Kim,

Lavender pairs very well with ginger, chocolate, and surprisingly, caramel. I'm a foodie, trust me.

Kim,

Lavender pairs very well with ginger, chocolate, and surprisingly, caramel. I'm a foodie, trust me.

Awesome! I always see things, but I'm not good with the pairing.

The lavender I bought was in the food section (with the spices) so I grabbed it. Unfortunately I have no idea what to use it in. So if trying a 1 gal recipe with it, what would you recommend throwing in the pail with it! And no worries, I'm brave!:db

Kim,

I would have to vote for the lavender then. Especially with ginger.

I did a white kit using dried elderflowers toward the end of fermentation. They didn't smell that good to me and the wine color was VERY yellow. I don't know if the elderflowers added some deep yellow or it was just the varital of the grape. I'd be willing to try it again just to see if it was the flowers. Or, you could make a batch and we see what color it is. :D

Kim,

I would have to vote for the lavender then. Especially with ginger.

I did a white kit using dried elderflowers toward the end of fermentation. They didn't smell that good to me and the wine color was VERY yellow. I don't know if the elderflowers added some deep yellow or it was just the varital of the grape. I'd be willing to try it again just to see if it was the flowers. Or, you could make a batch and we see what color it is. :D

Hahaha! I see Feb's wine coming! hopefully as a group effort :b

I'm going to need quantities and other additives etc!! :)

Kim,

Do you have a small grinder, like a coffee grinder?
The best thing to do would probably be to grind a tiny bit of lavender and mix it with a couple of other spices and see what you like.
You can also google recipes that include lavender and see if anything appeals to you. Piggy back on what others have tried and liked, then build from there.

My lavender wine smells just like, well, lavender! I left it pretty dry. I would like it more if it reminded me less of hotel shampoo.

Last edited:
Jericurl said:
Kim, Lavender pairs very well with ginger, chocolate, and surprisingly, caramel. I'm a foodie, trust me.

Now you have me wondering it I should try some tweaks.

Kim,

Do you have a small grinder, like a coffee grinder?
The best thing to do would probably be to grind a tiny bit of lavender and mix it with a couple of other spices and see what you like.
You can also google recipes that include lavender and see if anything appeals to you. Piggy back on what others have tried and liked, then build from there.
I do have a grinder. I just need help with "the extras"

My lavender wine smells just like, well, lavender! I left it pretty dry. I would like it more if it reminded my less of hotel shampoo.
:) :) that's how I feel when it comes to flowers.

See why I need help Lol

Stressbaby - you might want to try a test with a bit of honey. My lilac mead would have been overpowering if it hadn't been for the honey (I think). Right now it has a nice lilac nose and tastes kind of like a Gewurztraminer :)

I added elderflowers to a Riesling I did and it was very nice. Didn't notice a yellow colour, but it was only a small package.

Kim, maybe make a lavender 'tea' and add the test bits to that? It would give you an idea of the flavour profile, as well as the strength of the various ingredients.

Jeri - Lol!!! I see a batch of onion wine in my near future...

Raelene, that is an excellent idea for Kim.
Making a tea with additives is a pretty good way to determine whether or not something is going to pair nicely.

I really, really hope that what I am smelling is a litterbox that needs changing....

:) :) :) :)

you're really scaring me from trying that wine! Maybe I'll wait til summer when we've moved out of apartment and I can hide it in basement!

Bhahahaha! Maybe I'll wait till summer before starting that one. That way I can either open a window, or put it into the garage :)

Racked my Pumpkin Hazelnut Mead off the spices and out of primary to a 3 gallon carboy and added the roasted pumpkin/sweet potato.

I'll give you my reasoning for the extra room: a) it wouldn't have fit into 2x1 gallon jugs with the pumpkin and sweet potato added, and b) the S.g. is 1.030, and it is very gassy. During the few weeks it will take for the ferment to finish and the fruit to sink to the bottom, it is very well blanketed with CO2. Once I get to the point where there are slow bubbles coming out the airlock, I'll rack it off the fruit and into the 1 gallon jugs.

Also, to note: I totally made too much. I should have stuck with just barely over a gallon (would have saved myself some honey too). But it kind of got out of hand when I was putting everything into the primary. Grr. However, a girlfriend of mine is going to give me her last pie pumpkin, so I'll roast that little guy up and pop it in there to make sure there is lots of flavour.

WP_001162.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back