I've Never Seen This Happen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a blueberry pomegranate wine and I bought a bottle of 100% pomegranate juice, from concentrate, to top off the carboy when I do taste samples. The bottle gives a use by date of 6/4/12 and has refrigerate after opening printed on it. Well the last time I used it there was a half bottle and I just left it sitting on the rack in my wine making closet which is around 65 degrees in temp. I have not been in the closet since before the holidays and today took a look to see how things were.

The bottle of juice had expanded, a plastic bottle, juice had sprayed out from under the cap and spilled onto the floor and when I opened it, gas was expelled. I took a smell and it had fermented and did not taste too bad either. The juice was pasteurized and only contained water, the pom concentrate and Ascorbic acid ( vitamin C). As I am typing this, the bottle is still off gassing.

As I said, I have never seen this happen to bottled juice.

Not surprising..... When they say refrigerate after opening, it is to keep things like this from happening. At refrigerated temps it would have been too cool to ferment.

I had a gallon of apple juice explode in my closet one night. I thought someone had broken in and taken a shot at me. It was terrifying.....and very messy.

Natural fermentation, I have had this happen to Apple Cider in the fridge too. It is why we treat things with K meta prior to pitch our strain of yeast to kill those natural beasties..

Latest posts

Back