Itch to Ferment!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWino

Reaction score
I have a huge itch that needs scratched. I need to ferment something, but not sure what. 18 gallons siting next to me, started on Christmas Day. 5 empty primaries next to them, and lots of counter space begging to be filled up.

Thinking strawberry concentrate.... Suggestions.....

Ferment what ever your heart desires. Id say go for whats on sale somewhere.

I know I got a beer to bottle the still in the primary, and I am already thinking of what to do next. I quess I need to wait and bottle some of the other things I have ageing. I still am thinking about another doing cider soon, and maybe using a Nottingham yeast for it.

Got my Apple ready to go into the secondary, just have to bottle some to empty a carboy. When that is done, the elderberries are coming out of the freezer, and will have to see if there is anything else left in there. If not, spring is coming and hope the cherries and strawberries and currants and crabapples and elderberries and whatever else produces this year. Will be starting all over again. Maybe this year can come up with some grapes or juice this year and of course cannot forgetthe Skeeter Pee from the leftovers. Arne.

I have a huge itch that needs scratched. I need to ferment something, but not sure what. 18 gallons siting next to me, started on Christmas Day. 5 empty primaries next to them, and lots of counter space begging to be filled up.

Thinking strawberry concentrate.... Suggestions.....

Check out Jack Keller's site; I read there where someone once made a wine out of tree bark. Just be careful to make sure you don't poison yourself.

Thanks for the tree bark idea.... but actually bought frozen strawberries today. Found them on sale 2 pounds for $3.00. I bought all they had and will be stirring up about 3 gallons tonight. 16 pounds should be enough if I toss in a couple frozen concentrates.

Also have the lees from 3 other wines. When wife gives you lemons, make pee. Tart cherry, blackberry and concord.

I think everyone here can relate to that feeling. It starts creeping up on me once every 2 months or so. Don't fight it....just scratch!

You should check out a book titled "First Steps In Winemaking" by C.J.J. Berry.

It's been around a long time, so some of the information in it is dated, but what I like about it is that he's got recipes grouped by month. The recipes tend to be focused on things that would be ripe or available during that month. The winter months have some neat recipes that use less common items like vegatables, herbs, and grains. For instance, under January, he has the recipes for Barley Wine, Fig Wine, Maize Wine, Prune Wine, Raisin Wine, Grapefruit Wine, Citrus Wine, Date Wine, and Instant Wine, I find it's always a book of inspiration for me when trying to pick out my next batch. There are a bunch of them on E-bay if you don't have a copy. eBay Book

Latest posts

Back