IT Happened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineon4

Reaction score
:s I had a 6.5 gallon batch of pure Concord from grapes, all hand pressed juice no water; done, stabilized and back sweetened ready for bulk aging Tasted GREAT. I just racked into a fresh Carboy and was moving it to my aging area and YES I dropped it, SMASH; GLASS and wine everywhere. OH I am so sick about it I can't stop fretting about it. Anyone else have this happen and how did you deal with yourself. :slp

It hasn't happened to me, yet. If it ever does, I plan to use it as ammunition with the wife that we really do NEED an All in one wine pump. So far she has kept putting me off by calling it a want not a need.

Ahh yes the infinite struggle between man and wife on buying wine equipment.. it's the eternal struggle. KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT, GOOD SIR!

Oh and sorry bout yer wine

It hasn't happened to me, yet. If it ever does, I plan to use it as ammunition with the wife that we really do NEED an All in one wine pump. So far she has kept putting me off by calling it a want not a need.

Once you use it, it will no longer be a "want".

P.S. It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission...

I've broken 1 carboy. No wine in it though. Just when you think you found the last piece of glass, you will be in bare feet and step on it.

Sorry about the carboy and wine...

Now for the stupidity in this event, I have a wine pump/filter, to lazy to sanitize and then clean it again for just 1 carboy, HOW stupid.

So far, no. I don't lift, my husband does that but rarely, we use a vacuum pump so carboys don't move until they are empty. Sorry for your loss, that is a hard one to get over.

Ouch, that is a bitter pill. I think that, as I have only made kits, I could deal with the loss more easily than if I had started from grapes.... Feel for you!

Get that man some wine, stat!

Last edited:
That's always been a fear of mine. I usually have my husband move them for me. I couldn't imagine the clean up.I haven't lost one yet but I do feel for you.

Wow, lots of wine getting jinxed here lately. Somebody needs to do a wine dance and lift the curse.

So sorry. I cant imagine the shock and then you cant just walk away and get depressed you have to stay and clean up the mess and your still depressed!! I almost dropped one the other say but it was empty and wet. I caught it with my lef and let it slide down

Yeah Tess, it took myself and my wife over 3 hours to clean up the mess. Wine ran all over the basement in an instant, even down into my lower basement room where my wife has her gym. Carpets needed cleaned, wine rack units needed moved since it ran under them and of course they had bottles of wine that had to be moved before we could move the shelves. All my other carboys needed moved and cleaned. Just a horrible day!!!! I made 10 gallon of concord yesterday in an attempt to appease myself. I still have 1 more 6.5 gallon carboy left of the first batch but I will never be able to enjoy the wine we mopped up as it is :ts

The possibility of shattered carboys is why I use better bottles. I content myself with not being able to vacuum rack and degas in exchange for not having fragile carboys..

I am sorry for your loss.

seth, I use both, but there is just something about a nice shinny glass carboy reflecting light through a nice wine.

Are you saying if you dropped a better bottle full of heavy wine it would not bust open with wine everywhere? Having to clean up the broken glass is just a fraction of the horror. I agree with wineon4. I have one better bottle but only use it if I have to but to each his own

Last edited:
I bought a couple of brew-haulers and love 'em. Sure makes carring a full carboy a lot easier.

I bought a couple of brew-haulers and love 'em. Sure makes carring a full carboy a lot easier.

Are they sturdy? They look so flimsy lol... I going to buy a couple this weekend. I use a plastic milk carton right now. Got it from the home office store

That was one hell of an offering to the wine gods!

I am so sorry, I know how you feel, just on a smaller scale.

Latest posts

Back