Isn't gravity best?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comet in TX

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got away from winemaking during the holiday but I'm back to it now - just in time for the limited releases (7 of them, I'm in trouble).

So I've been reading about all these electric filters and vacuum pumps and bottle fillers, and while the notion of never again lifting a 6 1/2 gallon carboy full of wine sure is attractive, I thought treating wine gently was best?

Wine Spectator always prints articles about the high end CA wineries spending significant fortunes on gravity fed wineries? Isn't the idea to treat the wine as gently as possibly?

So I'm taking all opinions! Are the electric options timesavers but harsh on the wine? Who filters? Who doesn't?

I'm kinda thinking slower is better, and heck, if I don't buy the expensive electric gizmos, that more money for wine, right?

But I do have 4 carboys getting ready to bottle, and those 7 on the way...

What are your thoughts?

Lara

If you are comfortable with gently handling the wines by gravity alone, do it that way. The problem is that with kits, they are more prone to C02 being trapped in them and need a bit of less than gentte handling to get it out. Wine from grapes gives up it's C02 easier, especially the reds because they are pressed after fermentation is mostly done. The pumps make it easier to handle, and the vacuum is gentler on the wine than an impeller pump. Do you need the toys- heck no, it just takes a bit more work.

Do what you are comfortable with.

I've hauled full 6 gallon glass carboys around for years and I just started using an aspirator pump. I will never go back. Aside from the relief of not having to lift and carry anymore (which can be a really big concern if you have back problems), this is so much safer (when you think about the possibility of dropping a full glass carboy - eeek).

I agree with applemans post, some people say the wine will degas itself over time, I have had 3 batches age for over a year and have gas in them a few years ago so after that I have always degassed my wines as soon as it was done fermenting. These vacuum pumps are very gentle on the wine, its just like using your siphon hose with the exception that you can rack up hill, side to side or down like gravity. Its not going through any motor or like impeller pumps or anything like that. The bottler that you are talking about is also used for gravity filling but w have just addd or vacuum pump to it. Like appleaman stated you can get by without all of this but when you have a lot of wine to do it really is a timesaver and when you have a bad back its a life saver. Do you use a floor corker or hand corker, same theory, one is just way easier.

Back