Other Island Mist Black Rasberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I just purchased a Island Mist Black Rasberry Merlot for my 3rd batch and would like some advise..... I would like to bring up the ABV but don't want to ruin the taste. I saw that for other kits you guys are advising around 4lbs of sugar, this seems like alot! Also the guy at my homebrew supply store said he thought that was way to much and that I shouldn't do more than 1 or 2. I trust the advise here, should I go for the 4 pounds? I do realize I would be measuring sp to get the right amount but just want to make sure I buy enough sugar. I'm looking to get this around 10 to 12 percent without compromising flavor. Thanks!

That's great! Will that throw off the amount of wine I end up with? As in if I have 6 gallons and then measure it and then add sugar won't that raise the level quite a bit?

Very little maybea quart. That being said ferment in a bucket. When it gets around 1.010 transfer to a carboy. what ever is left put it in a 1.5ltr bottle.

Hint;

What I do when I know I have extra is sanitize a gallon container and transfer to 3/4 full1st then transfer the restto the carboy. That way you can add some back to the carboy w/o breaking the siphon. Balence into the 1.5 ltr or 750ml.

One other thing.....it's ok to just dump the sugar in and stir it? I saw some do a mix in water but that would definately raise the level alot.

You will find about 4 pounds gets you right into the 11-12%ABV range like you want. It is best to dissolve it in a bit of water. It will only take 2-3 cups to disolve 4 pounds of sugar. Heat the water, add sugar, bring temp of water up to almost boil to dissove the sugar, cool and add to the desired SG.

Thats why we are here... to share info...
smiley32.gif

Started it last night! Added 4 lbs of sugar and ended with a sp of about 1.075, perfect! Thanks for the advice!

I'm on my third batch of this kit in two months and have boosted each of them to about 1.09. This wine can easily handle higher. My wife and all of her friends can't get enough of it. First nice day of the season yesterday and we had half the neighborhood over drinking it. From the comments I've gotten it seems to really attract people who "aren't wine drinkers". Glad I got the other 60 bottles getting ready for the summer.

Good luck with yours.

Racked it over to another carboy last night for a bit more aging. Tasted great already, appearently the up'd ABV didn't hurt the flavor at all! Thanks for the sugar adding advise.

I had a few more questions, does adding a like wine effect the flavor at all? I had to top it off with a regular merlot (a whole bottle). Also the color of this merlot is quite light, is green bottles still what I should use? Or can I use clear ones?

Still shouldn't notice any difference in taste from adding other wine, unless adding many many bottles.

Use dark bottles for reds to help keep out light but I do fill some in clear just to see the color and end up drinking them early.

Enjoy

Bottling tonight!!! Going to buy a case of bottles at lunch time and will be bottling tonight.....can't wait!

Latest posts

Back