Isinglass Finings 100ml - Bentonite 100g

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbnmiky

Reaction score
Ok guys...I just been at my local shop....found those 2 products....they both state that:

Finings: Improve clarity, remove unwanted compounds improving flavour.

Bentonite: natural clay product used for clearing all wines and protein stabilizing white wines.

and bla bla bla with instructions.....

Mmmmm so my question....whats the difference between those 2?

Thank you...that article was really interesting.

So professional winemakers dont use anything to clear wine to keep the flavour/taste natural.......while homemakers do use just becouse they can't be bothered racking ?

Mmmmm so wouldnt be better to suggest NOT TO USE any chemical to clear wines....if you care of the quality?

I cannot speak for professional winemakers as I am not one, however on a recent trip to Napa in late September one winemaker at a reputable winery told me on average he uses 6 egg whites per barrel of wine.

This is also one of those questions that is biased to winemakers personal prefence. If you ask 10 wine makers you may get 11 correct answers. However they may not all do it the same way or same method.

I personally have made 5 wines this year and have tried egg whites, isinglass, sparkaloid, and the old natural time technique. Continue to read about the differences and compare them to your needs and find which works best for you. I myself decided to try the different methods to see for my self which I felt worked best for my application and found it not only informative but fun.

And of course your in the best place to keep asking questions, and there are plenty of people on here more informative than myself that will chime in!

Back