Is this legal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several people have asked my "how much?" for several bottles of wine. My reply is "I can't sell it".
However, I did place an empty peanut container on a shelf near the door that is labeled "Wine Supply Fund". Nothing against helping the vintner out with supplies.
If they don't contribute, they are not asked back!!!!

:i I never sell my wine, instead I have "bottles of colored liquid to be used for decorative purposes only." In fact I am even thinking about putting "NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" on the bottle.... I can't be held responsible for what people do in the privacy of their home... right ?: :D

Meat marinade is a popular use for wine.
Just sayin'

Heheeh very nice.

BTW, I was wrong. I winery can not gift away wine that is intended for sale. However, Im pretty sure they can gift it once they are off the premise or in a non professorial setting.

They can't gift it if it is still bonded and the excise taxes have not been paid. But if the taxes are already paid, I don't think it would be a problem for a winery to gift wine. Maybe I'm wrong.

They can't gift it if it is still bonded and the excise taxes have not been paid. But if the taxes are already paid, I don't think it would be a problem for a winery to gift wine. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think it depends, in New Mexico is illegal to gift any type of alcohol, for exampe bars cannot give a beer case as a prize in a dance contest, neither can sell drinks 2X1, that is consider gifting... I think that varies from state to state...

Heheeh very nice.

BTW, I was wrong. I winery can not gift away wine that is intended for sale. However, Im pretty sure they can gift it once they are off the premise or in a non professorial setting.

Actually, depending on state law a licensed winery/distillery can donate to registered charities. Not applicable in every state, so you need to check out state law if you are a commercial entity.
Commercial wineries provide sample bottles to liquor stores, etc., all the time. State law defines how they can go about it. No different than a winery providing tastings, complimentary or paid, state law and even county laws will set the parameters. All about taxes and your state/local laws.

I have seen references to folks who host wine production on a contract basis for customers who want the kit experience, but don't want the investment in equipment, fruit flies, etc. I have always assumed those were our Canadian brethren. Is that legal in the US?

Here in the states those kit wine production facilities also need to be licensed and bonded just like any other winery.

Back