Is this all in my head?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All of my wine is in bulk storage and I am not going to bother it until it is about a year old. Right now I am buying wine for drinking ($$$). Here is my question. Most of the wine that I am buying has about a 12% alcohol content printed on the label. Some wines that I drink are like drinking water and you get no buzz with a glass of the wine. Most of the time it takes about two glasses to know you are drinking an alcoholic wine. On the other hand, there are some wines who say 12% alcohol and you can start getting a buzz at the end of a full glass of wine. I am sure you folks know what I am talking about. Why is this if the abv is the same for both wines?

BRB, A couple of things can be involved here. I think that commercial wines' ABV can actually be plus or minus 1%, so a commercial wine that lists the ABV at 12% could actually be 13%. Secondly, and probably more likely, it depends a lot on you and what you have eaten or what you have in your stomach at the time. Depending on that, you could assimilate the alcohol either slowly or rapidly.

Last edited:
Food and all that has a lot to do with it but sometimes it is just your attitude, how tired you are, if you drank the night before, etc. There have been many nights when I have popped a top and after the first one goes I know I will be drinking all night and not feel the affects nearly as much as others. Sometimes you have a glass or two and can tell you will be asleep before the nightly news is over. So yes...its all in your head (in one way or another) :b:b

I will say as someone who used to smoke pot and someone who takes pills for pain becareful there. Back when I smoked pot I would be abl;e to drink a lot unless I had just had smoked a joint as that would like triple my drinking buzz, same thing with pain pills which is another reason I dont drink much anymore. I really have to plan going out and just deal the pain before going out or not drink while Im out.

Wade, I NEVER inhaled... but I do drink wine! Now most of the wines I make are 12% +- .5% Most do not AFFECT me or my wife, except my BS Peach. Two glasses & we are BUZZED. I had 1.5 bottles of Grand Cru Cab & felt good tonight, she had 2 glasses of BS Peach & was flying HIGH! It has nothing to do with Mars & Venus! For some reason we & our friends get BUZZED on my Peach Wine. Been making it for 4 yrs now, @ 12%abv. It's the same year after year, BUZZED! BUZZED! Don't know why. Roy

Latest posts

Back