Is there any hope?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cartet

Reaction score
I started a 3 gallon batch of wine on Sunday evening. I purchased 2 gallons of Great Value 100% juice. I thought I had read the ingredients but I guess I didn't. Come to find out it had Potassium Metabisulfite used as a preservative. Now I figure it out since my wine has not started fermenting since I pitched the yeast yesterday. Is there anything I can do, or should I just toss it out and try my hand at Dragon Blood and strictly follow the recipe?

:a1

Thanks,
Tammy

Potassium metabisulfite is fine, if it contains potassium sorbate don't bother.

Idea, sample the juice, if it's a little thin simmer awhile on the stove to evaporate the water out of it to increase the flavor a bit. This is a good thing to do with apple juice too. Just a thought.

Tammy Throwing it out would be the last resort ! Start a new yeast starter with some warm water,sugar, maybe a peace of ripe banana, and some strong yeast 1118, as it starts to foam add
some must to build the quantity. Mean while splash rack the must to drive off some of the K-met.
And then get some Dragon Blood started your are missing out !:D

Greg

Thanks for the advice! I will go buy some 1118 tomorrow night and hopefully that will work! I stirred it quite a lot tonight hoping that would start it, but I don't have much faith in that.

I definitely will get some Dragon Blood going as I am ready for wine!

Thank,s
Tammy

Hey good news! I got home tonight and the wine had a nice frothy cap going on! I guess it just needed some time and a really hard stir this morning. I did go ahead and buy the 1118 though, just in case!

Did you add yeast nutrient? I've noticed that wine starts slower when I forget to add it.

I actually did add the nutrient. I guess I was just impatient. I've never used wine yeast before so I guess I just expected it to go to work quickly :)

Well once it finally started it has gone quickly. Since it started a little late I let it sit in the fermenting bucket a couple days extra and now it's sitting just at 1.000. I don't see any reason really to move it under air lock now is there? Just let it finish up and then put it in some bottles to clear?

If it's at 1.000 now I'd go ahead and put it under airlock for secondary and bulk aging. I wouldn't bottle it yet.

How long do you leave them under airlock? Do you do that until it clears? Like 3-12 months?

I usually leave it under airlock until it clears completely, then rack and add sugar to sweeten and potassium sorbate and metabisulfite. If it's to be a dry wine, then I just rack and add a little metabisulfite, then leave under airlock to age and degas for about 6 months or longer.

Back