Is there a place to find specifics of kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkey

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a site that has specifics of kits before you buy them. For example, I am looking at the Cru Select white chocolate white port kit, but I can not find anywhere what the expected original or final gravity of the wine is... Even in the instructions I got from Cru Select for the Australian Shiraz, it is a generic sheet that I am assuming goes with all their wine kits. There really aren't many reviews and it is getting pretty annoying that there is no database of this type of thing. It would be nice to know what you are getting before you get it. I always find the same boring description from the maker of the kit, but never any hard facts of what it should really be like. It seems like beer brewing (what i am used to doing) is a lot more specific. With beer, I make my own recipes, but you can look at kits and get very specific information if you want to. With wine, it seems like the reviews are not getting enough input and the instructions (in my very limited experience) is lacking specifics.

Yes, the site is Wine Making Discussion Forums. The members of the site have made probably any kit out there and can offer info and suggestions to help you out. I would strongly endorse it!!
Seriously, the people on here can probably tell you what you want to know about the kits you're interested in. FYI the white choc port starts at about 1.120 and finishes about 0.996.

Yes, the site is Wine Making Discussion Forums. The members of the site have made probably any kit out there and can offer info and suggestions to help you out. I would strongly endorse it!!
Seriously, the people on here can probably tell you what you want to know about the kits you're interested in. FYI the white choc port starts at about 1.120 and finishes about 0.996.

Ok... Would I be going into a banned area if I started a website specifically for taking kits, writing reviews and placing specific information and included a link to the forums? I think it could help increase traffic rather than take away traffic. I would love to help get people into the hobby and add more information out there. I. This idea, it would not be a forum, so much as a place to make a single, informative post about different kits.

Ok... Would I be going into a banned area if I started a website specifically for taking kits, writing reviews and placing specific information and included a link to the forums? I think it could help increase traffic rather than take away traffic. I would love to help get people into the hobby and add more information out there. I. This idea, it would not be a forum, so much as a place to make a single, informative post about different kits.

IF I did something like this, I would take all the major brands and list more specific info. (OG, FG, and Yeast would be starting points) and when one person entered information, another person would need to confirm it before it is put up. Kind of like an open resource database with reviews more than a forum. It could serve as a supplement to this awesome website here at winemakingtalk.com

IF I did something like this, I would take all the major brands and list more specific info. (OG, FG, and Yeast would be starting points) and when one person entered information, another person would need to confirm it before it is put up. Kind of like an open resource database with reviews more than a forum. It could serve as a supplement to this awesome website here at winemakingtalk.com
If you do this, I would like to see the kit date included as the contents of some kits have changed with time. Also specifics about the oak would be good.

The following might be a little overboard:
Cru Select Okanagan Meritage (RQ March 2009) – EC-1118, Elderberries (40g, part 22924), oak pieces (part #25162, weighs 60g), Hungarian oak chips (50g, part 26322), Genuwine grape skins (250g, part 26476)

Sorry I don't have the specific gravity readings.

Steve

If you do this, I would like to see the kit date included as the contents of some kits have changed with time. Also specifics about the oak would be good.

The following might be a little overboard:
Cru Select Okanagan Meritage (RQ March 2009) – EC-1118, Elderberries (40g, part 22924), oak pieces (part #25162, weighs 60g), Hungarian oak chips (50g, part 26322), Genuwine grape skins (250g, part 26476)

Sorry I don't have the specific gravity readings.

Steve

What I am imagining is a site where you would click on the name of the kit, then you would see a picture of the wine in a glass and a picture of the kit. Then, there would be a table. One column would say "Original Gravity" then the corresponding column would have the list. There would be a column for "Includes grape skins" and corresponding would be a simple yes or no. There would be other specifics with simple answers. Then past the table a spot for reviews with a rating for appearance, nose, taste, mouthfeel, and overall. If there is enough interest, I will get onto making this site.

Last edited:
I recall this being suggested and discussed a while ago on this forum and it was thought to be a good idea, but didn't get anywhere. What you suggest sounds like a good information source for kit makers and would likely be supported but how you go about doing it or the protocols for links, etc. I have no clue.

Grape skins probably should be wet, dry, or none. Need columns for elderberries, and elderflowers. Still think you need a detailed column for oak. Some kits come with 2 packets of yeast. What about clearing agents?

Steve

This is a great Idea. I am fairly new to making wine and there is so much selection out there. I don't have access to grapes(or the time, room, money,ect) to make make the wines I like so Kits work very well for me. Also I find them a lot of fun. I am always wondering what to make next, and rarely can I find a review of the finished product. I would contribute to the best of my ability.

I would allow the link here and would try and keep each brands link in its proper place meaning any RJS kits would have a seperate link if possible but np problem if it didnt as I could work it out another way. Let me know when you have it up and Ill try to keep better records on every kit I start.

This is a great Idea. I am fairly new to making wine and there is so much selection out there. I don't have access to grapes(or the time, room, money,ect) to make make the wines I like so Kits work very well for me. Also I find them a lot of fun. I am always wondering what to make next, and rarely can I find a review of the finished product. I would contribute to the best of my ability.
Note to take away from honkey's idea, but have you tried asking about them on this forum? Doesn't work well for Vineco though, because they have poor distribution in the USA.

Steve

It would be like the Wikipedia for wine . . . Wineipedia?

All right... I need to get my iMac out of hibernation (I normally use my iPad these days) and I will get started on this. All info that goes onto the site will rely on submitted material. If, when I get this started, there is anything left off that people feel is important, I will gladly add categories when reasonable. Any reviews that are submitted will need to be thought out as I want this to be a semi-professional feeling site. "i hated this wine becuz i drank a ful gallon with frendz and didnt get drunk! lol" is not the type of review that will be approved. Hopefully within a month I will be able to start accepting info and reviews to begin publishing. It would be great if people would start thinking about which kits you have done and any relevant info that you have recorded, that would be great. I will keep you guys updated as this progresses. I think it has potential to be a great wealth of knowledge for new wine makers and a good way to help introduce people to the hobby more.

Could there be a place for "suggested or successful" tweaks? And possible Awards? Just a thought.

Could there be a place for "suggested or successful" tweaks? And possible Awards? Just a thought.
Certainly tasting notes need to identify any tweaks utilized in the wine tasted.

Steve

Latest posts

Back