Is filtering usually neccessry after super-kleer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakersoaker

Reaction score
I have a couple of batches of wine that are crystal clear after using superkleer. They have been clear for Bout three weeks. Just wondering if filtering is neccesary after superkleer . I want to bottle age as apposed to aging in plastic carboy. Thoughts?

In home wine making, filtering is never really necessary; it is optional and done mainly as sort of a final polish of the finished product.

If you wine has something in it that prevents it from clearing, filtering generally won't help, the cloud-causing particles will quickly stop up the filter. Again, filtering is to polish the wine.

Certainly nothing wrong with filtering, I just never do it.

I agree with Robie, since I do not enter my wines in any contest, I see no reason to filter, I have the equipment to do it but choose not to because I just do not see the need.

I am lousy at racking. It is just a skill that hasn't developed for me. Too aggressive I guess. I filter for insurance :h

I bought a filter and returned it. Since we age at least 6 months and generally longer and are never in a rush to bottle, filtering seemed like an unnecessary time waster. When we do bottle, the last bottle or two the cork is marked "L" so that we make sure not to give that one away.

I only rough filter to keep the big pieces out of the bottles, and I only filter kits that are less than 6 months in the carboy.

I used to filter everything but now only whites and some reds. I dont filter dark and thick reds like Amarone and nero d avola. I have a pinot noir that will get filtered.

Even if you dont filter it's a good idea to rack to a pail or carboy and then bottle from there. That way you can give the racking step all your attention so as not to suck up sediment without worring about filling bottles. I usually tweak after racking and proceed to bottling.

cheers

Back