Intersting Idea...Native Yeasts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonheart

Reaction score
We went on a weekday getaway to the Finger Lakes, and we talked to a few of the winemakers up there (simply the best reason to go up this time of year, they aren't crowded at all, and the winemakers aren't busy, other than bottling 2013 whites).

There was a recurring theme: Native Yeasts. Several of the better wineries are beginning to experiment with Native yeasts. I guess there is a eastern strain that has some positive traits. We had 4 different wines made exclusively with native yeast, and they were remarkable.

Anyone know more about native yeasts? Just curious to see if anyone's tried.

Ebonheart:

If you search the forum for "wild yeasts" you should get several hits. Generally people prefer to use a known wine yeast.

Steve

Big difference between wild and native.

Wild yeasts are just that...wild, uncultured yeasts that are found on just about anything that grows. They have little good qualities to add to a wine except that they eat sugar and poop alcohol.

Native yeasts can be any yeast that has evolved to live in a particular place. Could be just a natural occurance, but most likely they are in that area because so many winemakers have used them that they have become the dominant strain in that area. I'd bet that in the Bordeax region, the native yeasts are high quality winemaking yeasts since they have been used in that area for 1000 years or so. Same with other regions.

So, in the Finger Lakes area, strains of yeasts that produce good wines are probably floating around since they have been making wine there for a long time. However, the wild or native yeasts in Hope Mills, NC probably suck since no good wines ever came from here (except mine, of course).

I live in the area, which wineries are you referring to, and which wines?

Actually, the labs DO discover new strains from time to time. They isolate them and reproduce them for sale.

The ones that mentioned Native yeast specifically were Hector Wine Company and Kemmeter.

Where u guys in silver springs winery say about 4 pm Sunday? My wife and I meet a couple out your way.

Where u guys in silver springs winery say about 4 pm Sunday? My wife and I meet a couple out your way.

Nope, left on Friday. They have a great weekday special at Harbor Hotel we always try to take advantage of. 1st night full price, second night half off, third night free.

Will remember that, wife and I spend lots of time up there... Being less the 2 hrs from there is amazing....

I picked up some Vidal Blanc juice from a local winery in the Missouri area. The owner is a very good friend. He told me the he never adds east and I did not either. I fermented in my basement at about 62 or so. He has had these vines for about 10 years, I think.

The wine tastes very good and did very well in the wine competition I entered it into. It can be done, but I think it is somewhat risky to do and would only suggest it, if you get the grapes in the same sort of manner as I did. Assuming I get more juice from him this year, I will probably do the same thing, might add some extra tannin at the end and sweeten just a bit, but letting it go natural worked well for me. Your mileage may certainly vary.

Latest posts

Back