Interesting observation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
So as I've well documented here on this forum, my first wine had some gas issues. Interesting though because I have noticed that only some of the bottles have the issue! Some bottles have only a little gas and some bottles have virtually no gas.

How is this possible? I thought I had gas b/c I didn't degas well enough, but if that were the case, all the bottles would be equally gassy. Any thoughts?

wade said:
I guess the laws of physics cease to exist in your bottling area!

Apparantly!

it's got me completely stumped. I just cracked another bottle
tonight and virtually no bubbles. It was only the first few
bottles that I opened that had them. Very strange indeed
smiley29.gif

smiley4.gif
Perhaps you should send a few bottles this way and I will check them out for you.........Thats the kind of good friend I am, I will even put up with a little fizz for you
smiley2.gif

I had the same thing. I degassed with an electric drill for MUCH longer than recommended by the kit instructions (2 minutes). I ended up degassing for around 6 - 7 minutes because I kept seeing foam / bubbles. I decided to stop because I thought that maybe I was misreading what was going on.

A few days later I took a sample and it tasted pretty bubbly.

Do you think it would help to degas again on my next racking?

DJ,

Racking is an effective degassing technique in itself. I just bottled/bagged my daughter's IM Strawberry White Merlot yesterday. It clarified fine, but was still a little fizzy. Not a problem, because she wanted it fizzy anyway. My RJS Merlot, which I stirred extensively before fining, and then bulk aged 3 months after racking off the lees, has no trace of gassiness.

The big problem I had while bottling the IM yesterday was holding prime, as the gas would come out of solution near the top of the racking cane.

PeterZ said:
The big problem I had while bottling the IM yesterday was holding prime, as the gas would come out of solution near the top of the racking cane.

A short time ago we racked a Hard Apple Cider that we thought was stable...before racking it we noticed it was bubbling in the carboy and fizzy...It tastedgood and would have been great chilled and served as is...We want to carbonate it at bottling by priming with corn sugar....While we were racking it we kept loosing the prime....the bubbles would start up the tube to the racking cane and the prime would stop...it seemed to get worse as we got closer to the end of racking......We racked it again yesterday and the fizziness seems to be going away. Have never had any wine or cider act like this before.

Should we wait to prime and bottle until all the fizziness is gone...or make use of the fizziness...prime and bottle now??? I am kind of scared of bottle bombs....

I would probably wait as it is probably alot of gas and you might not
want all that gas in there as youre going to make more with continued
fermentation in the bottles as it is.

Back