WineXpert Instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Junior
Reaction score
Something seems wrong with the instructions to rack wine from secondary into primary fermentor. Add ingredents and stir like carazy to mix and expell gas from the wine. Actually we are airating the dickens out of it. You have to stir it to mix the ingredents but I use a vacum pump to remove the gas. Edited by: Chief

You are not really adding much air to the wine. The stirring forces out the carbon dioxide which is heavier than oxygen. As a result, you build a CO2 cap on the wine the protects your wine. In addition, when you add the sulfite, it bonds with the oxygen to remove it from your wine. The bad news is that most of the sulfite is used up in this process, so if you want to bulk age your wine, you need to add some addtional suftite before you start your bulk aging. I generally add 1/4 teaspoon every 3 months during bulk aging. This schedule coincides with the additional rackings.

Correct me if I'm wrong George, but that's per 6 Gallons. I put 1/4 tsp per Carboy, which is 6 Gallons, if that's not enough tell me now so I don't ruin my current batches.

That is 1/4 tsp per carboy. The instructions state "no more than 1/8 tsp per gallon" which would translate into 3/4th tsp per carboy, but that amount is the MAX. Therefore, I only use 1/4th tsp to err on the side of caution. If you get too much sulfite in your wine, you can ruin your wine, permanently.

Sorry for the confusion.

Back