WineXpert Instruction?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I just started the Riesling Ice Wine, am I understanding the instructions right, I stabilize this when it reaches 1.050 sg? Than I add the f pack. This will be super sweet.

I just started the Riesling Ice Wine, am I understanding the instructions right, I stabilize this when it reaches 1.050 sg? Than I add the f pack. This will be super sweet.

You read them correctly...It's an icewine, it's supposed to be super sweet. I helped a friend make this kit last year...it makes an awesome dessert wine. I think it made the top 10 in Winemaker Magazine's top 100 kit wines for 2011. The only problem we had with it, was that it took about 3 weeks longer to clear than the instructions stated. Other than that...it's an awesome kit.

Peace,
Bob

I don't have your instructions before me, so I am assuming you have read the instructions correctly. The whole idea of an "ice wine" is a super sweet dessert wine. So yes, it is going to be very sweet.

If that's not what you want, you might have ordered the wrong kit. Maybe you can contact WE and they can give you alternate instructions for making from it an off-dry Riesling, I don't know, though.

Dont go by just "1.05 stabilize" take a hydrometer reading and stabilize after you have 3 days with the same, unchanged reading. The instruction time line and SG numbers are just as close as they can guess without being able to control all conditions. Clearing time is also dependent on conditions you create. Incomplete degassing will slow clearing as well as warmer temps. Enjoy the wine, Mike

The starting sg was 1.158. Should I stop it at the stated sg or try and ferment as far as it will go?

You DONT stabilize it when it reaches 1.050!! You stabilize it when it finishes fermenting which should be around there.

If you add the K meta and sorbate before it has stopped fermenting then add the f-pack you may end up with high Alcohol, Riesling sorta tasting wine. The Sorbate and Kmeta could stress the yeast and cause nasty flavor and smells, like rotten eggs. It may not finish until 1.045 or lower. This is not an exact science. Use your hydrometer and when the wine has a stable SG for 3 days then stabilize. Don't be is such a hurry you destroy the wine. Some mistakes cant be fixed, some will just make wine taste less than it could. Patience ,Patience,Patience. Some fixes are dumping wine in yard. I have dumped wine more than once and it hurts.

Ok, so this will stop around 1.050, new at this and thought it would go to dry and I had to stop it. I see, now, it will finish fermenting around that sg. This is my first sweet kit, still so much to learn. Thanks

What's the starting SG on this kit?

This Kits SG Starts at 1.160. I made it almost a year ago and have about 3 bottles left. Its a very good wine if you have a seruious sweet tooth, yet it has a nice acidity. Its alot stronger Alcohol wise then a commercial icewine though

I don't know what the instructions say, but because this wine is super sweet and good acidity, it should be able to age for many years (10+) if you so choose. If you do intend to keep bottles around for more than 4 or 5 years, you will need to use the best corks you can find.

I will be lucky to have this still around with in the year. Just started making wine in Oct. and trying to build up a stock, it's hard to stay out of it. I made 3 kits of the Vino Italiano just so we would have early drinkers.

I will be lucky to have this still around with in the year. Just started making wine in Oct. and trying to build up a stock, it's hard to stay out of it. I made 3 kits of the Vino Italiano just so we would have early drinkers.

I hear you. Do this - put three bottles away by separating them from the rest. Keep 'em for several more years, but drink the rest whenever. Hard as it may be, if you do this with each batch, you will not be disappointed.

I do what Robie said & go a little further. I put the "long aging" bottles in a 18 gal. plastic tub & label what's in there,then add a BIG SIGN, do not open till 2013, 2014 etc. So far I have been able to keep my hands OFF. When they are out in the open it's too tempting! No will power when it comes to drinking wine. Roy

Latest posts

Back