Inline Ball Valve for Vacuum Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForzaItalia

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I bought some accessories from Steve so I can use my vacuum pump for racking and degassing (Thanks again Steve!), and got to thinking... if I added an inline shut-off valve in between the sending and receiving carboy... would that allow me to degas at the same time. So a couple of times while transferring the wine you would close the valve, blocking the incoming wine, and just degassing the receiving carboy. I was looking at the below valve on Amazon. What do you guys think? It is made from nickel, is that ok for the wine?

Thanks!

Ilario

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QU2PGO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
That valve is made for beer, so wine would be OK as well.

I'd be more concerned about what would happen when you opened that valve against all that vacuum pressure...might cause a awfully quick pick-up of winewhich could cavitate and bring excess oxygen (air) in the mix.

Besides, every racking I have done with my pump has pulled tons of CO2 out of the recieving carboy without any shut-off.

I actually just bought a 3/8 Dixon stainless steel shut off valve which can withstand up to 800 psi. Ill try it out and let you guys know. From the video it seemed like a good idea.

I actually just bought a 3/8 Dixon stainless steel shut off valve which can withstand up to 800 psi. Ill try it out and let you guys know. From the video it seemed like a good idea.

Considering you just purchased the valve and the flex racking cane - so everytime you are transferring your wine you are degassing it at the same time.

I would try it without the valve first and I believe you will be surprised on how well it works as long as your pump has enough LPM to keep up the vacuum during the racking process and it sounded like you did.

Hey Steve,

I'm sure that those pieces i bought from you was enough, but I am crazy and always like to experiment. . Of course I jumped the gun and purchased the valve before waiting until your accessories came in. I have no patience, which is probably not the best trait to have in wine making!

Ill let you guys know if I see any real difference

*Just an update*

Received the flexible racking cane from Steve and he was 100% on the money, there is no need for a valve as the act of splashing and vacuuming gets rid of all the gas. Great tool which I highly recommend and of course the customer service from Steve is top notch.

*Just an update*

Received the flexible racking cane from Steve and he was 100% on the money, there is no need for a valve as the act of splashing and vacuuming gets rid of all the gas. Great tool which I highly recommend and of course the customer service from Steve is top notch.

Thanks for your feedback

Hello, the release valve included with the AIO pump is more than enough for me. You can release the pressure completely within a split of a second. And we need this to act fast to prevent a mess, it saved me several times. A ball valve will work but not as fast. To be quiet frank that's one of main advantage of the AIO pump. At the end of the day, all the vacuum pump do the same, pump out air. What makes it different is all the features/accessories surrounding the pump that makes it above competition. I'll review it in deep early next year after doing plenty of hours with it. Cheers, Yves

Latest posts

Back