Other in the dark?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japaisley1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Another question:)

just wondering if I need my wine to be in the dark during the primary/secondary fermentation processes? or does it only need to be in a dark place after being bottled?:db

thanks a bunch!

I've made kits in the dark basement and in rooms lit by natural light (though not directly on the bucket or carboy) and I've noticed no difference. The yeast don't seem to care as long as they have a good temperature and sugar. I would say that if there is no direct sunlight light falling on the fermenter then you're fine either way.

After bottling then long term exposure to sunlight will degrade the wine quicker than a largely dark room will.

I don't keep my wines in the dark when they are fermenting, as they are in covered plastic buckets with a towel over them, but I do keep them away from direct sunlight.
Once they hit a carboy, I have carboy covers which I slide on to protect them from light. They're black kids size medium shirts with the sleeves cut off and arm holes sewed shut. Mrs. John D embroiders them with winery designs and logos for fun.
Once bottled, they go into either a wine cellar which blocks out light, or the wine bottle case, which I lay on its side after a few days.
In short, to protect the color of your wine, it's good practice to provide as much protection from light as is feasible in your situation.

Latest posts

Back