I'm stuck at 1020 and tried everything

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winegirl

Reaction score
I've done oodles of searches on stuck fermentations and have tried all the advice I came across and I'm still stuck! :( I'm making a one gallon batch of Raspberry Jam Wine, the strawberry went so well, gave it another go. I started Mar 9, I used 3.72 lbs of Smucker's Seedless Raspberry Jam. No preservatives at all. 2 tsp acid blend, 1/8 tsp tannin, 1 tsp nutrient, 1 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 pkg lalvin EC-1116. Water to just over a gallon (extra for racking) OG 1078, high enough for my liking. The jam alone gave reading this high, I didn't add any extra sugar. Temp good and warm, ambient usually around 77 (wood heat, like it warm), but does cool over night to about 70. Mar 11 - 1050. Mar 14 1024, and racked to glass gallon jug, sediment and all. Mar 16, 1024, added 1/2 tsp energizer & stirred. Mar 19, 1021 - sprinkled a bit of EC1116 on top. Mar 20 - 1020, made a yest starter using small amount apple juice at first. Looked like it was working, the CO2 bubbles increased hugely. Mar 21- 1020, Mar 22, still 1020. I also have splash racked back and forth from glass jug to bucket a few times in this time (forgot to write down on what days). So now, I have poured back into a bucket and have left it there.
Would the fluctuating temp do it at night time? This has happened to me before when I rack to the carboy, usually the energizer will spruce it back up. Should I add some more nutrient?

Why not? It's only a gallon after all. Hit it with a dash of nutirent and let her rip (hopefully).

Why not? It's only a gallon after all. Hit it with a dash of nutirent and let her rip (hopefully).
Good point Dave, I try to do everything properly and forget simple things like that sometimes. That's what I'm gonna do.

Winegirl--Don't forget nutrient. It makes for a rapid fermentation, improves clearing, and increases the yeast's tolerance for alcohol. Another thing you can do is to add the nutrient in 2 batches--half of it when you begin, and the other half about half way thru fermentation. That way, your yeast is fed properly thru the entire fermentation process and may help avoid stuck fermentations. Too much meta can slow the ferm too but it doesn't seem to be the case with what you're doing.

Anytime you don't understand what these chemistries do, google them. You'll have a better understanding of just WHAT they do in winemaking. You can avoid lots of problems by understanding what the job of all this stuff is, and you'll have much better wines without all the crazy, little, problems that you can run into. There is a whole wealth of info out there.

If you have it in a Carboy get it out. It needs oxygen to ferment. You are choking the yeast. Only rack to a glass container when it's almost done (1.000)

If its still that high you could splash rack it.

Adding nutrient at 1.020 will likely just make your 1.020 wine taste like yeast nutrient. Splash rack back into a bucket and see what happens. Don't add anything to the wine that at this point you don't want to taste.

Thanks DJ and russfink. I'm too late getting your messages. I did add 1/2 tsp of nutrient and I poured it back into the primary this morning. Still no sign of anything happening so I whipped it good with a wire whisk. Is the 6 gallon bucket too much air space for the gallon batch at 1020?

Winegirl,
Are you measuring your SG with a hydrometer or are you using a refractometer, then converting the brix reading to SG?

Winegirl,
Are you measuring your SG with a hydrometer or are you using a refractometer, then converting the brix reading to SG?

I'm using a hydrometer and I even tried two different ones, just to be sure. Still at 1020.

I'm using a hydrometer and I even tried two different ones, just to be sure. Still at 1020.

OK, just want to make sure. Some have tried to use a refractometer in wine and not use the special conversion formula for it. A refractometer doesn't give an accurate direct reading of Brix once alcohol is present.

Wish I knew what is wrong with your wine,but don't have any ideas, other than what has already been suggested.

OK, just want to make sure. Some have tried to use a refractometer in wine and not use the special conversion formula for it. A refractometer doesn't give an accurate direct reading of Brix once alcohol is present.

Wish I knew what is wrong with your wine,but don't have any ideas, other than what has already been suggested.

Well I tried another starter, but unlike last time, I didn't put in the glass jug, I left it in the bucket, I think it might be working, slowly, but I'm down to 1018, not a big improvement, but it's something.

That may be the reason you had a stuck ferm. Yeast needs O2 during the primary fermentation. Open fermentations work best.

Have you tried a different strain of yeast? Lalvin 71b-1122 or EC-1118 Different strains can use different nutrients from the must for food.

Was high fructose corn syrup one of the ingredients in the jam? I've found it can be hard to ferment dry when it is one of the ingredients.

Have you tried a different strain of yeast? Lalvin 71b-1122 or EC-1118 Different strains can use different nutrients from the must for food.

Was high fructose corn syrup one of the ingredients in the jam? I've found it can be hard to ferment dry when it is one of the ingredients.

I only had the k1V-1116 on hand, I missed posted as to what I used initially, it was 1116 not 1118. I'll have to google the ingredients, I don't have the empty bottles anymore. I think it may have finally kicked into gear tonight, I can actually hear it working. I'm crossing my fingers that it works.

Adding nutrient at 1.020 will likely just make your 1.020 wine taste like yeast nutrient. Splash rack back into a bucket and see what happens. Don't add anything to the wine that at this point you don't want to taste.

I completely agree with this.:a1

Latest posts

Back