WineXpert IM Exotic Fruits White Zin SUGGESTIONS?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
I bought this kit for one reason: my daughter turns 21 in late February and it seems like a good "girly" kind of wine. I want to gift her with about a dozen bottles with her own label.

Read many mixed reviews (after purchasing) but know my daughter and her friends will probably enjoy any free wine!

I'm not interested in increasing the alcohol so that's not an issue.

I do think I'll use only 1/2 of the Fpac to bring down the sweetness. Is it as simple as only pouring in 1/2 or do other adjustments need to be made? Should I save (freeze?) the remaining Fpac for future experiments or just toss it?

I read that one person added additional mango flavor (using Crystal Lite, I think).

Any other suggestions for making this a decent wine? Make 5 gallons instead of the recommended 6?

I'll be hanging onto the remaining bottles for myself so I'd like it to be as good as possible.

Thanks!

I made the Exotic Fruits, and used only 1/2 the F-Pac.

I added 1/2 of the F-Pac into the primary, and stored the bag in the refrigerator until it was time to add the rest. The f-pac will add flavor, and the yeast will take care of the sugar.

I also added 3# of sugar, but you said you did not want to do that.

When adding the F-Pac, I suggest mixing and sampling as you add the F-pac. Start with 1/2 of what you have left. Mix. Sample. Stop a little short of the desired sweetness. Wait a week or two. Sample again. Add more if needed. As the F-Pac incorporates, it will get a little sweeter.

I have heard about mixing to 5-Gal. I did it inadvertently on BlackBerry Cab, and it turned out great. I did the Exotic Fruits to the 6 Gal mark.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Jus to be clear, I'll add 1/2 of the FPac right after pitching yeast? Or wait until fermentation begins?

Then when instructions dictate adding the FPac, I'll add the other 1/2 a little at a time, tasting as I go along, to get desired sweetness.

So, basically, I may end up adding all (or much of) the FPac by the time I'm done. Sound right?

Am I correct in thinking that the FPac added at primary will add flavor without increasing alcohol? (That's what I hope for.)

This should be so easy - maybe I'm over thinking it!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Jus to be clear, I'll add 1/2 of the FPac right after pitching yeast? Or wait until fermentation begins?

I add it after diluting to 6 gallons, but before pitching the yeast. You could wait until day 2, after fermentation begins. I don't think it makes much difference.

Then when instructions dictate adding the FPac, I'll add the other 1/2 a little at a time, tasting as I go along, to get desired sweetness.

correct.

So, basically, I may end up adding all (or much of) the FPac by the time I'm done. Sound right?

yes.

Am I correct in thinking that the FPac added at primary will add flavor without increasing alcohol? (That's what I hope for.)

No. It will also increase the alcohol. However, 1/2 of the fpack is nothing compared the the 3# of sugar that I normally add. IHMO, I don't think 1/2 of the f-pack will noticeably increase the alcohol level.

Back