I'm baffeled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
started a 13%+ PA sugar wine a month ago--it has been fermentin actively. When the sg reached 1.020 i switched to my close range hydrometer. The fermenting is very slow now-- it is tetering around 1.020 or a little less. I gave it a dose of energizer last night--the sg is a hair less than 1.020 this morning. The lock has about a 2 minute span between bubbles and i cam see yeast activity in the liquid-- I cant understand if this amount of time is correct and the very slow fementation is normal--the room temp is a consistant 78 degrees if the thermostat is accurate-- i am starting another starter bottle with the same 1118 that i used in the original mixture-- i am using a 50==50 wash and water mix with some sugar and a pinch each of nutrient and energizer.

When i do any wine, i always go for 10 percent PA so i dont know if this 13+ percent PA is the reason for it going so slow.

All input is needed please
smiley1.gif

Its probably because there isnt enough nutrients in it. Are you using the same amount of nutrient you would in a wine that would already have nutrients and minerals in it from the fruit and then you add nutrient on top of that? This is just water and sugar so youll need more nutrients and energizer due to the lack already.

I had pitched the second batch of 1118 starter about 1/2 hour ago and now i just treated the 6 gallon batch with yeast nutrient-- ill check the results tomorrow--
smiley1.gif

I've found that yeast nutrient is always a good thing, regardless of wine condition. Good luck with your next batch!

wade said:
I use energizer and nutrient in every batch except kits.

I started this batch with Dap in 3 stages-- it was a heavy dose as recomended by the article author-- all went well till the sg hit 1.020- then, it didnt stop but seemed to teter toter around 1.020 for about 3 days-

well this morning it was 1.018-- the fermenting rate seems to be consistant--

Latest posts

Back