If you were to do Today...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
If you were to die Today...

I you were to die today, What wine or wines would do you think would others who knew you or never would know you you would get an insight into who you were and possibly how you experienced life?
This is a tough question that I would ask my students when working with those students who would be volunteering or working with those who were very ill but from a slightly different perspective. Some would avoid, some would really think about it and give very thoughtful answers.

It really does make you think and as usual, it is a choice you may not want to answer..so what is my motive.

self-indulgent, invasion of privacy, looking for the "Cathartic" release for my own insecurities---not even!

I have often been asked about other hobbies by individuals and often times, they get through my wrinkly exterior with some very thoughtful questions since they know who I am and will answer since they know they are not going to get some "canned answer."

But when it comes to this amateur wine maker, (this is not like my other hobbies as I am a very late bloomer) where I can share my thoughts, emotions but always very aware that my reflections like so many of our experiences in life, one life lesson leads to the next and each time, we acknowledged a new "AHA" when a year ago, we thought we had it nailed!

Your responses will help me with my own reflection as I would look at any work of art, trying to get in touch with what it is that I see that i cannot put my finger on and then...comes someone, usually not of tender years(but can be) who shares their depth, their passion and I begin to see what I have not seen( such as when I saw the statue of David which Michelangelo made from a used piece of marble) outside of Florence and my world changes and as i walk away, I am better for it, can share what now resides within and when faced with others who yearn to get that moment "AHA" and an emotional depth to their and my ever changing picture of ourselves as your answers add another brush stroke in my journey which will begin its end and beginning at my last breath.

I am not sure what wine would answer my own question except that I think it could not be one particular wine but they would first look at the label and see creativity, artful design with the back label saying that " I hope this wine makes you feel comfort, cared for, not forgotten and may find you at a moment in time when you needed a kind of "spiritual" lift.

As for the taste: complexity, depth of flavor, an array of color as you hold it up to the light and when you pop the cork, you hear the sound of me saying "welcome."

when they taste it, more complexity, hints of this flavor and that, bold, yet with a certain zest and a slight note of sweetness that says"savor the moment, be at peace " and know a bit of who I was.

As they sit back, without a whisper or a word, they will recognize the artistry of the wine, the history, the chemistry, the dedication to detail,
as they bask for a moment in the artistry that I tried to create for them that adds to their appreciation and may open a door to a new reality of beauty and awe that words fail me but may not fail them.

To simply for this thread as i have already edited it twice but if I only get less than five answers, they will be a meditative experience that will help me better understand so that others may.

And when they finish the bottle or let it sit, they will without doubt say,yup, that was ed who "did go gently into that good" until it was time but keep the bottle as a reminder of one of many things, works of art that hopefully will inspire many far into the future. that will live far into the future.

thought a thought--one of many
Regards and respect to those of you all who create a true work of art from the soil up and glass by glass!
Corinth

Last edited:
I have two answers:

What wine would accurately represent me? Probably a second-run wine from a low-acid grape: thin, flabby, and insipid.

What wine would I LIKE to represent me? A 50-50 blend of Cab Franc and Petit Verdot: rich in character, bold, slightly spicy, with a good backbone.

:)

Sour_grapes:
Very well put and not surprised. Often when I read your quotes, I think to myself,"How does this reflect the art of wine making!"
Corinth

Latest posts

Back