If I wanted to add chocolate to my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this post while searching for some tips on adding chocolate to wine. Is their guidance on which red wine-types benefit/showcase chocolate the best? (Couldn't find the Jack Keller site referenced above on adding chocolate to wine.) I have a MM Meglioi Barolo on the way and thought I'd try splitting the batch and adding chocolate to half. I thought to do the same possibly in the future for Amarone, Shiraz and Zinfandel.

Also, would it be worth adding chocolate to the higher-end kits, or should I reserve my urge to experiment on the mid to low range ones?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I use Hershey's chocolate fudge sauce for my chocolate cherry wine, but it is also part eggnog as well. It's a Holidays tradition.

I have made a liquor from real cocoa nibs and vodka. Then later mixed it in with wine to fortify it. Worked out great. I imagine you could add the nibs (crushed as best as possible) to the fermentation and get similar results. It was not cheap though.

YLu can use Lindt's dark chocolate, 70% or 80% cocoa wod work well. Stay away from powder cocoa, it is too difficult to clear.

These are all great tips! I have some cocoa nibs from one of the organic stores. I will try this out with the vodka. The nibs still release a bit of an oily film though. I assume this can be removed through filtering?

Last edited:
YLu can use Lindt's dark chocolate, 70% or 80% cocoa wod work well. Stay away from powder cocoa, it is too difficult to clear.

We did the dark orange chocolate port with dutch cocoa powder, and I'll agree it is very difficult to clear. Started as a 3.5 gallon batch and I lose so much every time I rack it that it's now down to 3 gallons. It settles out fine, but just drop in a racking cane and it's up in the mix again. Tastes wonderful, but we'll likely never have it very clear without losing too much. I'm actually considering bottling it as it once it ages for a bit longer.

Would using chocolate extract yield the same chocolate taste as using real chocolate? I just wonder if not having clear wine affects how long you can keep it for.

Back