ice wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabrictodyefor

Reaction score
I looked on Jack Kellers web site, but didn't find anything about ice wine. I have a friend who has concord grapes she wants to get rid of. Was there a few weeks ago, and they were not ripe yet. So they are now ready to pick, however I have no time until Sunday....and we are getting a snow storm beginning tonight, lasting thru Fri night. So I was reading a little about ice wine and does it become ice wine only if the grapes get frozen on the vine? or if they go through a freeze? It will get below freezing, however as the grapes are on an arbor they may not freeze solid. And if it that they freeze, couldn't you just put the grapes in the freezer and get the same result? Thanks for the help

I am no grape expert at all...Really dont know anything about them except there good to eat and good to make wine.
I think that frozen means frozen i do not think it matters how it gets there.
frozen in snow and frozen in the freezer, its frozen..

Great links, Tom. Looks like a lot more work than throwing the must in a bucket and pitching a pack of yeast. Arne.

The one thing they do not mention ...

THE PAIN!!!!

You are handling Ice cold grapes. They are so cold that any time you touch them, a shot of a thousand needles goes up your arm.

And yes, it is ice wine only if the grapes have been frozen on the vines.

But there is also a wine referred to as "ice wine" that is wine that has been placed in freezing conditions to freeze the water in it, and then separated from that ice. Calling that "ice wine" is a misnomer.

Thanks for the links to the articles, Pumpkinman. Guess I won't be trying to make ice wine any time soon! Newbie that I am, this won't be happening in my basement!

It seems to be a major project, maybe one day, but for now...I'll buy the occasional bottle...lol!

Latest posts

Back