I think i'm in trouble !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barefoot

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new on this forum.

I think I just made a big big mistake.

When starting my wine kit (winexpert) I mixed additive # 2 (bentonite) and #4 (potassium sorbate). I fell very dum.

Is the batch scrap ??? I stopped right there, did not had the yeast yet.

Anything that can be done to save it ??

:( :( :(

Don't give up yet. Which WE kit is it, that is which series and what variety of wine? From what you have written, I assume you have added the bentonite and water to dissolve is, added the juice and then added k-sorbate. I also assume that you added the "plus" water to bring the total volume up to 23 liters. Are these assumptions correct? You have not added the yeast packet and probably still have a packet of k-meta for later addition. There may also be some oak in various forms. Is this where you are now?

The kit is Vintners Reserve MERLOT

The bentonite is not in the juice yet.

I addded the juice, the potatium sorbate ( thinking it was the bentonite ) and leveled it up to 23 Liters. I still have unopenned the bentonite, the potatium metabisulphite, the oak and the yeast and the fining agent.

Last edited:
Barefoot, I think you can make this work. At any rate, the only thing you have to invest is a packet of yeast and some time. I would go ahead and dissolve the bentonite in some water and add it to the juice, stirring it in well. I would then take the SG of the wine to see where it stood and I would chaptalize (add sugar dissolved in hot water at a ratio of 2 parts sugar to 1 part water) the wine to an SG of at least 1.095. I would get the temperature of the juice up to about 75 degrees F and pitch the yeast. My bet is that you will see fermentation start. If the oak is to go into the primary, i.e. it is oak chips, add it also. If it is oak cubes, it probably is called for in secondary (i.e. after SG is at or below 1.020 or so).

The potassium sorbate is put into the kits to ensure that re-fermentation does not take place in the event there is any residual sugar in the wine when fermentation ceases. In such cases, the amont of sugar is usually very small compared to the juice at the beginning of fermentation.

One last caution. Be careful in adding sugar. You don't want to make rocket fuel. I would start by mixing 2 cups of sugar in 1 cup of water. How much you add will depend on the initial SG reading. If it is 1.080-1.085, add about half the amont of the mixture, mix very well and re-take the SG. Continue this until you get to something like 1.095, whcih will yield a wine with ABV of 12.5-13.5%.

Barefoot, I think you can make this work. At any rate, the only thing you have to invest is a packet of yeast

Do you mean I will need a second pack of yeast ?

Will I need to had potassium sorbate at time clarification ?

Thanks for your help Rocky, you saved my Sunday !

No, not a second packet of yeast. Just the yeast that came with the kit. Whether or not to add k-sorbate at clarification or stabilization will depend on your preference and the final SG. I do not add k-sorbate if my SG gets down to the 0.992-0.994 range. If it stops above that, I would consider adding it because of the residual sugar.

24 hrs later........fermentation has started. Looks good, time will tell.

Thanks again Rocky.

Good job Rocky you saved another. Enjoy your wine Barefoot.

Latest posts

Back