I need some help with blueberry wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllenC

Junior
Reaction score
Alright so I may be a little late since I already started the wine but any and all help / advice is welcome!
I have somehow messed up the last 3 batches of wine somehow. Obviously I am a beginner to making homemade wine, but I hope to learn from my mistakes and actually end up with a drinkable glass of wine!

I have and use all the cleaning/sanitizing things recommended.. 1 step, StarSan, carboy brushes etc. just to name a few. I use 6 gallon glass carboys and 6.5 gallon plastic fermenters I got from Midwest Brewing Supplies.

The recipe I was using for a base to go off of can be found on eckraus.com
http://www.eckraus.com/winerecipes/blueberrywine.pdf

Ingredients I have added so far
25 lbs. of blueberries – Crushed by hand
12 lbs. of sugar --- To bring the SG to 1.100 (was aiming for 1.090 but overshot it)
1 tbsp. Yeast Energizer
2 tbsp. Acid Blend
10 Campden Tablets (5 added now, prior to fermentation and 5 at bottling time) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I read that you should hold off on adding the Pectic Enzyme so I have not added it yet.
¾ tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1 Packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast

I mixed the top ingredients together and then dumped the blueberries into a straining Bag and tied it off

Does everything look alright so far? I am aiming for a Sweet blueberry wine.

Tomorrow I am planning on adding the Yeast I but have a few questions.
1. Should I hold off on adding the Pectic Enzyme? If so, at what time do I add it?
2.Do you airlock it after adding the yeast? Or I have also read to cover the hole in the lid with a towel
3. Once fermentation has started, should you stir the yeast every day or just let it sit and ferment untouched for the 5-7 days.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Allen

1. Should I hold off on adding the Pectic Enzyme? If so, at what time do I add it?
Add it now
2.Do you airlock it after adding the yeast? Or I have also read to cover the hole in the lid with a towel
You don't need to put under airlock till fermentation is almost done (day 5-7)
3. Once fermentation has started, should you stir the yeast every day or just let it sit and ferment untouched for the 5-7 days.
Stir it everyday, you may also want to squeeze the fruit bag a few times maybe every other day.

I hope this helps, I'm sure you will some more experienced members chime in.

Your welcome and welcome to the site. Keep us posted on how it's coming out.

Latest posts

Back