I have Pears !!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
Rookie wine maker,I have 60 lbs.of cored and cut up pears in the freezer,how should I go about the next step??? Do I press the chunks then ferment or ferment the chunks then press??? What are the advantages of one over the other ???
Thanks

When they thaw out, the juice will seep out and whats left will be a little bit firmer than apple sauce... I would let them thaw, already inside some straining bags so most of the solids stay in the bag and the juice leaks out; wasnt how i got to do my pear wine but that's how i would have did it if i had time

When they're room temp, you should be able to press/squeeze more juice out of them than what seeped out from being frozen

After you've squeezed most of the juice out, tie the bag snug to the pulp so there isnt a lot of excess for the pulp to expand, and let the bag float on top of the juice - daily punchdowns to keep it from drying out.. Squeeze it out again when the fermentation is done, and pitch the bag

as Deezil said make sure you have the chunks in strainer bags, save some back for back sweetening, try to use as much juice as possible as the flavor is easily weakened.

this is how i did it:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f45/pear-34180/

I added bentonite to mine to possibly help aid in clearing, and I just added insinglass in secondary. i have read that pear is very hard to clear sometimes so I am trying to give it every bit of help i can.

Thank you Deezil and Dend.... that is the recipe I have been leaning towards Dend

Latest posts

Back