I added Campden during fermentation!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

I had a problem with hydrogen sulfide. So I aerated my wine and racked 3 times. I also added campden. This is in reference to my black raspberry wine, which was at FG of 0.990
I have a separate wine which is a red raspberry wine, and which is more or less the same recipe. The red raspberry wine did not have this hydrogen sulfide smell, but I decided to add some campden anyways as a preventative measure. I wasn't thinking, because I was not yet at FG...the SG was about 0.998, when it should fall to 0.990.

I do intend to backsweeten my wine... Are there any other reprocussions from doing this other than potentially stalling the yeast?

Thanks,

Delaney.

Last edited:
Also after adding campden, the wine started to bubble....

It's foaming at the knuckle and the foam is entering the airlock...Should I just wait a day for things to calm down and replace with another airlock? Everything is sterile.

well whatever my SG has dropped to 0.992 from 0.998...I only added 2 campden tablets and it is a 6 gallon amount. Seems like things are cleaning up?

Latest posts

Back