Hydrometer in Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantrubak

Reaction score
Can I get a accurate reading from my Hydromter in my primary? Also, it says in the directions I can use the plastic storage case for the hydromter as my testing tube? Is this ok? Or should I just go buy a test tube from my wine shop?

Thanks Everybody!

Yes you can get an accurate reading in your primary and every step along the way. Just spin to dislodge any CO2 bubbles clinging and to keep excess pulp off of the glass.

You can use the tube but someday get a small plastic tube with a stand for taking readings. It will be a lot easier.

Yes, it might. That's why you spin the hydrometer to release the bubbles.

Wouldn't the uplift from the CO2 bubbles give a false reading ?

Yes, but unless you actually degas the sample you draw off to test, it would be no different than using a test jar.

THAT is pretty cool.... I NEVER put my hydrometer in the bucket... if it broke the wine would have to be dumped!

Debbie

Then don't break it! I put my hydrometer in my primaries, carboys and testing tube. You need to get your readings and why transfer a sample if you don't have to. I do not leave it in there as I have several musts going at one time.

I leave my hydometer in the must during fermentation also. I have not had any issues to date... (knock on wood) haha

Latest posts

Back