Howdy to all...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North_Ga_Jug-Or-Not

No Glass Needed
Reaction score
I guess Ill start by saying hello to everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying a lovely day, and a good wine of course. Im just a southern boy that enjoys making wine, and I dont think thats a first by a long shot. I haven't made it ten minutes in other forums Ive read through, but this one seems to have that friendly feel I was looking for. :b

I just finished up my last batch in time for the holidays, and I plan on starting the next round this weekend(if my re-supply shipment arrives on time that is). My latest is a strawberry/banana dry, very stout wine but Im very happy with the flavor I maintained while getting it that strong. Not 100% sure on what im doing next, I know I want to do a grape mix. Well, Im gonna start three, 6gallon batches so any suggestions yall may have shout em out.

Welcome to the Wine Zoo! This is a great forum, I've learned a LOT & have even helped a few. All are very friendly & helpful. I too live in N. Ga. been living & making wine here for 5 1/2 yrs. now. Mostly Apple & Peach from local orchards, red wine kits, blueberry & elderberry too. If I can help in any way let me know. Roy FTC Wines [FightingTown Creek Wines], McCaysville, Ga.

Welcome to the forum, Jug or Not (love the name!). Many years ago I went to Tech and we used to make road trips to North Georgia for a "jug" and it wasn't wine!

Welcome to the community. We do have many friendly folks here.

What to make next? You can browse our recipe section on the home page or whatever fruit you have available. Plus skeeter pee's are always great.

Again welcome.

Wecome NG-Jug

Hi Jug,

Greetings from NC. You may find an apple orchard in your area that sells fresh apple cider. I can get that around here for about 5 bucks a gallon. I made mine several months ago and it is coming around nicely now.

You want to make three six gallon batches right? Are you considering kits also?

My basement/garage isn't heated so I've tried to keep my fermenting projects small. I have a six gallon batch of cranberry wine going along with a small batch of Christmas beer. Getting the cranberry to start fermenting was a real challenge.

Welcome aboard and I look forward to seeing your posts and projects.

Merry Christmas
:xmas

Paul

Hi North_Ga_Jug-Or-Not,

Welcome to winemakingtalk.

Welcome! I'm new here as well. It's been a great place to learn and ask questions!

Welcolm to the party. Now step right up and tell us what you've made. Feel free to ask questions or give Tom hell. LOL Lots of experience here and we're always looking to learn or teach .

Thanks for all the welcomes, and you are very correct, wine isnt the only spirit made here in these mountains. lol :a1

Im a die hard dawg fan though, but Ill forgive you since you are an alumni. Haha

Well, im still a young buck in the wine world. Been around it my whole life, and my family pretty much has made every kind of spirit you could think of. My grandpa is from Murray county/Elijay/Booger Hollow, and so if you dont know the area already he used to make a good living making moonshine. :br Many fine friends live in Alabama and Tenn. as well that make some very good brandy. Me, I guess Im just trying to carry on the family tradition if you would.

I had read until my eyes popped out, asked questions, talked with my uncles and other family about the wrong thing to do, etc. Well finally I just decided to dive in, went to the closest winery I could find which is in Cartersville about 30-40 minutes away. I bought my airlocks, jugs, yeast, etc., and headed home with it where I had my sugar waiting. Made that, which is my first official wine cause jug wine(balloon wine) just doesnt count in my book. lol Maybe it does, but I was ready to get to the art of it and not keep making "simple wine". My family pretty much said its easier than it seems to do it right, but at the same time if you mess up with the easy part it can get difficult. So far I have made five gallons of "real" wine, and havent had any problems I couldnt fix with a little research as I have plenty of material and read most of it. And if I must say so myself, its actually gone beautifully as I havent really had any mistakes or complications. Many, many people have complimented it, and all keep asking for more so its satisfying to know that something Im enjoying this much is also being enjoyed by others.

My next step is to try to improve quality by going bulk. A fellow I spoke with at the winery said you really can make a big difference in overall flavor and add that consistancy by making more wine in each batch, and its the same process only add more. Made sense when I read it, obvious enough, and then I had it handed to me by a Vet of the trade so...bulk it is. If growing up around here taught me anything, its always listen to the old timer that already travelled the road your on it'd be foolish not to.

Well, sorry to write a book but I got that outta the way now we can start making wine since we know each other so well. lol

Latest posts

Back