Howdy from ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsxdragon

Reaction score
My names Dan. I started brewing wine earlier this year as a hobby. I primarily do one gallon brews since it's easier for me to manage in between classes and work. anyone from ohio here know where to find some elderberries?

Hello Dan. Great to have you aboard. Right now the eldeberries are probably mostly done. You may find some areas in cooler areas. I looked for eldeberry's at the wine stores in a can as a concentrate but they did not have any. Good Luck in your pursuit and again welcome.

the local (well local to me) shop, grape and granary, has dried elderberries, but i was hoping for something fresh or at least hoping someone would reveal their secret spot for them locally. any tips on specific areas i should check? i know that they grow near moist areas.. so creek or near by a swamp?
btw thanks so much for the welcomes from everyone.

You can try looking for them now, but next spring when the flowers are on they are much easier to locate. Also gives you some time to get permission to pick em. Arne.

Dan welcome aboard. My neighbor is going to school at Wooster. I know you are in a heavy Amish community as I have been up there several times. Actually the biggest settlement in the country. Check with them as they always have elderberries for sale until you find a place to pick them. Hey maybe you could come up with a recipe for shoe fly wine instead of shoe fly pie LOL. Really though any questions feel free to ask. Next time you're at the Grape and Grainery try a bottle of their Jalapeno Wine. Its awesome! Steve picked up a bottles there and shared it which inspired a few of us to make it.

We shop at the Grape and Grainery on occasion. Good reason for a road trip. They have many good wines and good prices on supplies.

i'll have to try it if they have any left next week in the mean time i'll continue to waiting on my home grown hot pepper wine. the grape and granary is such a nice atmosphere compared to the other shops i've been too. i never thought of going south of wooster to find some amish selling them. thanks for that idea.
What's your friends major at the COW?

only reason i ask i know some music ed and geology majors plus my mom is the night nurse.
Lehman's has some real awesome stuff. i always thought it there was a zombie apocalypse that the Amish would probably win.

Back