How would you do it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
Trying to plan ahead as much as possible so bear with me. In preparation of our 2014 fall harvest I plan on obtaining some larger vessels then your typical home wine makers 6gal glass carboy's. I'm leaning towards the small 'Flextanks' as they seem to fit my budget best.

Now, let's pretend that we've harvested, crushed, fermented and now pressed our grapes. We've filled our Tanks and have let it sit for a awhile and it's now time to rack the wine off the sediment.

Keeping in mind that as a home wine maker I have just the basic equipment like the 'AllInOne' and various sizes of tubing and a modest collection of Carboys, how would you suggest the best way to go about racking would be?

Am I pretty much forced to be in the market for some sort of must pump or do I have other options?

Thanks

Last edited:
first off, you need to define the size, small flextank can be from 1/2 gallon to 450 gallon bladders.

You can rack OUT OF a flextank with a vacuum pump. You just cannot rack into it. I would just rack 5-9 times into that many carboys.

Yeah I'm guessing my process will be to rack out of the tank into my carboys. Clean tank and pour back into tank from the carboys for long term storage. I was just brainstorming for alternate, or easier alternatives.

I would skip the flex-tanks and go with 2 54 liter demijohns. This would give you a capacity of about 27.8 gallons with a couple of additional gallons for top-off.

By using glass demijohns (which I would think is cheaper, but not sure) you can still use your all-in-one pump to rack.

I would skip the flex-tanks and go with 2 54 liter demijohns. This would give you a capacity of about 27.8 gallons with a couple of additional gallons for top-off.

By using glass demijohns (which I would think is cheaper, but not sure) you can still use your all-in-one pump to rack.

I was under the impression the glass demijohn is thinner then your standard carboy thus racking under vacuum is not advised.

For an inexpensive pump you could go to page 40 of the Gino Pinto catalog. They have a small brass pump. While not ideal material, your wine will be in contact for a very short time so it will be OK. It is a Marchisio brand made for wine. It has 3/4 inch inlet and outlet and is self-priming. You will need to buy some food grade tubing for it. Get a food grade barrel of your approximate size. Pump out of the flextank (30 gallons is the smallest size they make) into the barrel. Clean the flextank and pump the wine back into it.

catalog http://www.ginopinto.com/catalogs/2014%20Home%20Winemaking%20Catalog%20Revised%2001_14_14.pdf

For an inexpensive pump you could go to page 40 of the Gino Pinto catalog. They have a small brass pump. While not ideal material, your wine will be in contact for a very short time so it will be OK. It is a Marchisio brand made for wine. It has 3/4 inch inlet and outlet and is self-priming. You will need to buy some food grade tubing for it. Get a food grade barrel of your approximate size. Pump out of the flextank (30 gallons is the smallest size they make) into the barrel. Clean the flextank and pump the wine back into it.

catalog http://www.ginopinto.com/catalogs/2014 Home Winemaking Catalog Revised 01_14_14.pdf

Awesome. Thanks!

I was under the impression the glass demijohn is thinner then your standard carboy thus racking under vacuum is not advised.

They are a lot more sturdy than you might think.

I have handled them for over 20 years and have always vacu-racked them. I never once had a problem.

Good to know JohnT! I have demijohns that I avoided using for fear that the glass would implode when vacuum racking. I will give it a try this year.

They are a lot more sturdy than you might think.

I have handled them for over 20 years and have always vacu-racked them. I never once had a problem.

Good to know. Thanks!! where do you acquire your demi johns from? Midwest Supplies I see prices them at $100.

I got a ss vv tank and i rack and return using this awesome pump - http://morewinemaking.com/search?search=pump

Works great, the flow can be controlled with an inline valve, is quiet as a church mouse, and racks 3g/minute.

I think i like the vv tank better because it doesnt matter the yield. Buuut i do dig the flex tanks too. Good luck!

Ive also vac racked in and out of demijons, but i just do enough to get the wine flowing. But if ya drop a flextank it wont shatter.

Also, there is a huge price differnce between wine pumps and must pumps. Some small wineries dont even have must pumps!

Good to know. Thanks!! where do you acquire your demi johns from? Midwest Supplies I see prices them at $100.

$100.00 seems very steep! That is about 4 times the amount I paid 15 to 20 years ago. I think a more realistic price would be around $30-40 each.

Ive also vac racked in and out of demijons, but i just do enough to get the wine flowing. But if ya drop a flextank it wont shatter.

Also, there is a huge price differnce between wine pumps and must pumps. Some small wineries dont even have must pumps!

True, flex tanks bounce, but demijohns are a lot tougher than you might think. I have handled them (full and empty) for 20 years and may have only broken 2. What makes them really tough is that they come with a plastic bucket and cover. These are surprisingly strong and do a really nice job in protecting the glass.

When vacu-racking, go ahead and let her rip. Demijohns can definitely take it. They are, after all, strong enough to effectively handle 110 pounds of wine (when full).

Yeah, I miss 'typed'. Thanks for the link to the pump. Looks I have more 'affordable' options then I initially thought.:b

Back