How to use Twin Lever Corker?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btom2004

Wine On My Mind
Reaction score
I just found this forum and wow I never knew so many people were making wine at home. I just cleared out the space under my staircase, to use as a wine closet.

1. Check my Avatar photo-Would that be cool enough to age and store wine there?

2. I used a Twin Lever Corker to test try, but the cork dose not go completely into the bottle. I did not soak the cork first. There is about an inch left hanging out. Should that happen? Is that extra cork left there to sit under the shrink rap?

Last edited:
it takes a little practice. Corks come in different sizes. Typically size 8 or size 9. The size 8 is the easiest to insert with a twin lever corker. The corks also insert alot easier if they are soaked. I would advise just practice.
I hope you know this new found hobby of yours rapidly progresses to an obsession!
Phil

I just found this forum and wow I never knew so many people were making wine at home. I just cleared out the space under my staircase, to use as a wine closet.

1. Check my Avatar photo-Would that be cool enough to age and store wine there?

2. I used a Twin Lever Corker to test try, but the cork dose not go completely into the bottle. I did not soak the cork first. There is about an inch left hanging out. Should that happen? Is that extra cork left there to sit under the shrink rap?

Corks should go all the way into the bottle and should not be soaked. If you are going to continue using the Twin Lever Corker you should use #8 corks. If you have become addicted to wine making like so many of us have you would be better off getting a floor corker. They work so much better with the #9 corks.
By the way, welcome to the forum. There are many wine makers on here ready to advise and answer your question.
LOUMIK;)

it takes a little practice. Corks come in different sizes. Typically size 8 or size 9. The size 8 is the easiest to insert with a twin lever corker. The corks also insert alot easier if they are soaked. I would advise just practice.
I hope you know this new found hobby of yours rapidly progresses to an obsession!
Phil
Don't I know it...I've spent hundreds of dollars and haven't even made any wine yet. I'll do it right this time. Next time I will be using juice concentrate or fruits.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep practicing. So no part of the cork should be above the bottel rim.

Corks should go all the way into the bottle and should not be soaked. If you are going to continue using the Twin Lever Corker you should use #8 corks. If you have become addicted to wine making like so many of us have you would be better off getting a floor corker. They work so much better with the #9 corks.
By the way, welcome to the forum. There are many wine makers on here ready to advise and answer your question.
LOUMIK;)
Thanks for the help and it's great to be a part of this forum. I've looked at the floor corkers price are higher for them. I'll keep that in mind however.

Last edited:
So no part of the cork should be above the bottel rim..

Righty-o

I've looked at the floor corkers price are higher for them. I'll keep that in mind however

Keep in mind, if you treat your floor corker right - you only have to buy 1... And when you kick the bucket, your kids can use it... And if they treat it right, their kids can use it.... I think you get the picture :)

Righty-o

Keep in mind, if you treat your floor corker right - you only have to buy 1... And when you kick the bucket, your kids can use it... And if they treat it right, their kids can use it.... I think you get the picture :)
Oh Yeah I get it. I just went ahead and did another attempt. It worked this time. I wet the cork first, as if I were to sterilize it with a solution before corking. I then pressed the cork down into the corker, until it was fulsh with the hole at the bottom of the corker. I then placed it on the floor and pop it was in. Posted in case others had this problem. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Now to go test run racking equipment...

Enjoy the ride! I remember doing the same!
Phil

Enjoy the ride! I remember doing the same!
Phil
I didn't know it would be so consumming. Hey how about some insite on how to store wine as it ages. No way I can make a wine cellar. Would that center of the house closet under my stairs be good enough, without spending and more cash to try to insulate it?

Last edited:
I didnt even try to give mine away, I through it away after It slipped and I have a nasty scare on chest

I didnt even try to give mine away, I through it away after It slipped and I have a nasty scare on chest
wow bad news...however I think I got the hang of it now. Reading this post I'm thinking I'll place it on top of a cut rug to avoid slipping on hardwood floor. :b

I only have mine for those occasional bottles that don't fit in the floor corker. Spend the $60 it's well worth it.
The only problem I see with your stair cellar is space. How many bottles can you fit in there? That then limits how many batches you can do. Which may be a good thing if you're trying to contain the budget.

I corked quite a few bottles with a little corker like you're talking about. I finally got a floor corker and... what a difference! I've bottled about 300 bottles since the floor corker.

I did shatter one bottle with the little winged corker by allowing the corker to sit crooked on the bottle while applying pressure. Talk about a huge scare? It sounded like a gun going off and sent glass all over the kitchen, so be careful with that thing.

Last edited:
I used the double lever for many years before upgrading. It can be used effectively and safely, but there are some tricks to making it work. I use #9 corks in it and if done right, they'll go in just fine. I put the bottle on the floor, hold it between my feet, and then place the corker directly over the bottle. Then with one fell swoop, you aggressively thrust the levers down which fires the cork into the bottle. The key is to go fast. The "throat" on the corker is smaller than the cork (kind of a modified funnel shape). It compresses the cork so that it can fit into the neck of the bottle. If you don't go fast, the cork begins to expand before it is fully inserted and you end up with the cork getting stuck before it's all the way in the bottle. You want it to go all the way into the bottle before it expands again, so go fast and you shouldn't have any problems. Once in a while, a bottle will try to tip over if you aren't 100% directly over the top of the bottle. To solve this problem and to eliminate spilled wine, I made a simple jig to hold the bottles. Some scrap 2x4 and some screws and you're in business.
BOTTLEHOLDER-1.jpg

my buddy got into wine 1 batch b4 me, at bottling time we used the 2lever corker that kmae with his kit. After doing that once I said f this and got a floor corker, I have a bad shoulder and the ease of the floor unit waaaaay ofset the $ for the unit. That being said, some of the 2 lever corkers have adjustments to em as well, we had to change the setting like 13 times b4 we found the right throw to set the corks properly.

my buddy got into wine 1 batch b4 me, at bottling time we used the 2lever corker that kmae with his kit. After doing that once I said f this and got a floor corker, I have a bad shoulder and the ease of the floor unit waaaaay ofset the $ for the unit. That being said, some of the 2 lever corkers have adjustments to em as well, we had to change the setting like 13 times b4 we found the right throw to set the corks properly.
Mine has no adjustment. I think as a newbie, I just didn't know what to expect. I think I have mastered it now. The corks go in better when wet and are about 1/4 inch below the top of bottel now. I do plan on cleaning them first before I cork, so they will be moist.
DSC00055.jpg

Is that OK or should it be higher flush with the top of the bottle

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back