How to Shrink Wrap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

Reaction score
Need advice on how the shrink wrap the PVC closures on the bottle. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I tried to use the steam from a kettle and wrap a wet towel around the bottle. The wrap only shrank in some places but not even. It never tightened down. The neck of the bottle got hot and the wine started to bubble so I quit.

That is very odd. When you use steam from the kettle, make sure there is a good stream. I only takes about 2 seconds of exposure to get it to shrink completely. You also need to rotate the bottle to seal the whole closure. Try it out for a spin! You never need to heat enough to get the wine boiling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boiling water works for me.

I hold the PVC wrapper on the upside down bottle with a spoon, and dip the neck of the bottle in the boiling water.

No problems.

I use the boiling water also. I bought that handy little tool that George sells and it is a breeze. Just invert the bottle into boiling water for a few seconds. Works like a charm. Good luck.

I also use the boiling water. I hold the cap on with a wooden spoon, and just dunk it for about 3 or 4 seconds only. And the water has to be at a full boil to work

I use this and it works great!
HorzCapsular.jpg

It is an electric horizontal theromencapsular. Just click the switch on and in a few minutes its ready to go and it works in 1 second!

Wow Wade...that sounds like something from Star Trek or something! I use a fork and a the burner on my gas stove.

Oh, and by the way, I bought it from George!
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">19000 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cnopicava2.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Horizontal Thermocapsuler

Electric heat source for use with PVC shrink capsules. Adjusts to any size bottle. (110v)
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$179.99</td></tr></t></table>

I use an Embossing gun similar to this one. You can get them where ever you can buy Scrap Book supplies. Works great. Not as snazzy as Wade's machine but for like $15.00, it works like a champ

bevfabriccrafts_2051_122110895.jpg

PWP has one those heat gun things for scrap booking too.....And I even get to use it for shrinking capsules...works great...

Scott, I have great success with the heat gun. I use the low setting.
Place the shrink cap on the bottle, hold it down on the top with a chopstick, and direct the heat from the top. It shrinks very nicely that way.
smiley36.gif

I hold the edge of the wrap farthest from boiling water and dip, moving my fingers away from the water as the bottle neck is immersed. Time of immersion is dependent on the manufacturer of the wraps.

Latest posts

Back