How to prevent fruit from turning brown

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photony

Reaction score
I recently thawed some peaches I had processed and bagged and as they were thawing some started to turn slightly brown. Is there something I can add before freezing to prevent this? I'll be processing some pears soon and I'm thinking I'll need to treat them as well.
Or, does it really matter if the color is off a bit? Does this affect the color or taste of the wine?

I should have read further before posing this! It appears that using ascorbic acid prior to freezing is the answer. How much???

Ascorbic acid works, but i havent used it so i dont know the dosage rates

But i know you can use lemon juice, ive done that. Just coat the cut pieces with lemon juice & should be enough to keep them from browning in the bag during freeze/thaw. K-meta will keep browning away once the fruit is in the primary fermenter

Absorbic acid is 1//8 tsp per gallon of must.

But with chopped fruit - i just sprinkle it over the fruit.

When i am processing fruit befor I freeze or can it, I have a bowl with lemon juice in it. As i cut the fruit I put it in the bowl. It soaks in the juice until i have enough to fill one bag or jar.

After you take them out of the freezer or jar, you can not taste the lemon juice.

You can try and prevent the oxidation of the fruit if you want to, but our experience is that it doesn't affect the wine in color or taste.

I froze a bushel of peaches this year with some turning brown as they were thawing. The color of the wine was not affected. It looks good.

Rodnboro said:
I froze a bushel of peaches this year with some turning brown as they were thawing. The color of the wine was not affected. It looks good.

I have made a delicious white whine from apples who turned brown. Just don't worry

Bearpaw said:
I have made a delicious white whine from apples who turned brown. Just don't worry

Coating with suger will also help prevent them from turning brown. You will be adding suger anyway when you make your wine. Honestly I would not bother. Brownish fruit is fine. Just not as visually plesant!

Yep, sscorbic acid is the answer and I use it even on some of my lighter wines in primary as I do slow ferments on them and this helps to keep a nice light color without hindering fermentation like sulfites will as its an anti oxidant.

Back