How to make Pineapple Wine - Christmas recipe Xmas special (YOU TUBE)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LAgreeneyes,
There is nothing wrong at all with what you are making. There is no right or wrong way to make something that you like. Would it be to my liking, probably not, but more power to you if you like it.
It is wiine you are making, plain and simple. You may think the dry reds I like taste like a$$ so that may make what I make in your eyes hooch.
The point is, have fun with this and make what you like, not what all the "sheeple" expect of you.

I like a sweet port wine. Most of mine are a semi sweet, are semi dry.
My old uncle use to make wine that was almost syrup, and was terrible with all kinds of stuff floating in it, and you couldnt see thru it in bright daylight, but they loved it.
Giani is a sweet cabarnet, too sweet for me, but it has good taste.

I think I may be a "hooch-maker". I like hooch. LOL :)

For me, I would always try to buy wine in the store in an attempt to find a sweet wine and I have tried my share of wine and wasted money on a lot and all of them did NOT taste good to me. Its' only until now since I am making my own wine (or hooch) and adding the amount of sugar that I need to make it as sweet as sweet can be, that I love wine.

Dry wine is "YUCK" to me and wine that is not sweet is also YUCK to me.

The last wine that I really enjoy was called Giani.

http://www.vivino.com/giani/sweet-cabernet-sauvignon-2008.html

The way I came to know this wine was that I went into the store and told the owners that I needed a sweet wine and I needed THE SWEETEST wine that they had in the store. I said that I wanted it to be sweet to the point that the makers had to add fruit to the sugar kinda sweet. He looked at me and said I know exactly what you want. He found the bottle of Giani and it was love at first taste. That was my favorite wine until I started making my own. And now I love the way that mine wine, oops, hooch taste. :r

So, I guess I should change my "hobby" to making hooch because that is what I like. I like sweet hooch. :h

I think if you are using modern-day settling techniques and are aging your product, you are not making hooch. If you are approaching it from the "ferment, strain and drink immediately" angle, you are making hooch, no matter where the ingredients originate or how they are fermented. That is where I would draw the line. It has nothing to do with sweetness. All wine contests I have been involved in offered a sweet and dry category, so the level of sugar does not correlate to the degree of perfection.

It's unfortunate that hooch makers never really get to taste the real potential in their wines because they are all gone by then. That's why I always urge people to save just one bottle, no matter what methods they are using to make it, and keep that at least 6 months and preferably a year. If you make that a habit, it will just take one year to make you into someone who wants to save and age more than just one bottle. I like to keep at minimum 2 so I have one for 6 months out from bottling and one for a year, minimum.

My longest cellared wine right now is a 3-year-old bottle of Welch's concord that we are storing on a lark because everyone says it will not improve past 6 months or so. Most of my wines are consumed between 6 months and 2 years of age.

It also helps to make way more than you know you will quickly lap up. That's how you begin to establish a "cellar." Ten gallons is usually my low-end aim, unless it is a first-time effort or a kit.

LAgreeneyes said:
I think I may be a "hooch-maker". I like hooch. LOL :)

For me, I would always try to buy wine in the store in an attempt to find a sweet wine and I have tried my share of wine and wasted money on a lot and all of them did NOT taste good to me. Its' only until now since I am making my own wine (or hooch) and adding the amount of sugar that I need to make it as sweet as sweet can be, that I love wine.

Dry wine is "YUCK" to me and wine that is not sweet is also YUCK to me.

The last wine that I really enjoy was called Giani.

http://www.vivino.com/giani/sweet-cabernet-sauvignon-2008.html

The way I came to know this wine was that I went into the store and told the owners that I needed a sweet wine and I needed THE SWEETEST wine that they had in the store. I said that I wanted it to be sweet to the point that the makers had to add fruit to the sugar kinda sweet. He looked at me and said I know exactly what you want. He found the bottle of Giani and it was love at first taste. That was my favorite wine until I started making my own. And now I love the way that mine wine, oops, hooch taste. :r

So, I guess I should change my "hobby" to making hooch because that is what I like. I like sweet hooch. :h

You can make a very sweet wine that will age well, clear well, and taste much better than the "hooch." Jim as always gave great advice. The only thing I would add to his advice is that it will also help with the sweetness factor if you pick a yeast with a low alcohol tolerance.

There is nothing wrong with sweet wine. My wife loves sweet and semi sweet wine. Too sweet for my taste most of the time. And using the tutorials and great advice here I've turned out some wines that satisfy even her discriminatory and prejudiced tastebuds.

And once I finish tweaking and playing with the recipes I find, or the occasional kit I buy, and getting them to taste how I want, I can make the same sweet wine taste the same way every time, because I can log and measure what I'm doing.

I think commercial Sweet and Semi Sweet wines are going to get bigger over the next few years here in the US. Everything else seems to be getting sweeter and sweeter. Wine's gonna go that way too.

Last edited:
I think I will try this recipe again with a different fruit and see what happens.

That's how you learn. I would wager the things you learn from your mistakes are the memories you retain the longest. The trick being to LEARN from them and not repeat them.

That's how you learn. I would wager the things you learn from your mistakes are the memories you retain the longest. The trick being to LEARN from them and not repeat them.

Ohhhhh .... NOW you tell me! :)

Got my label done for the pineapple... Trying to carry a theme with the labels, but I'm definitely going to have to buy some different colors for that shrink-wrap bottle-topper thingy... sheesh, can't think of what that's called... but I only got maroon colored ones 'cuz I only thought I was gonna make the rhubarb and beet! Anyways, here's the label... And yes, I know I may have to change the ABV on the label ;) But wow, I didn't know the darned thing was going to come out this stinking big!!!! Sorry 'bout that... it looks better smaller, in its "application size." Sigh...

Pineapple+Label.jpg

15.987 is what the on line calculator said the ABV is on this batch, when I put it into secondary yesterday. Now... what I'm wondering is... should I check again with the hydrometer just prior to bottling, so that I can get the truest ABV possible for the label? Or does it all stay the same regardless of aging or back sweetening or adding flavors?

according to what i have read everything can change the abv.
if you add, water,sugar,fpak,simple syrup, anything to dilute,thin, change the liquid, can result in a different abv.

That's actually good, 'cuz I don't like that high of ABV. So... Once I'm done adding for taste, and letting things sit for awhile, can I use the hydrometer to help determine the ABV of the final product? Or maybe better asked... how can I use the hydrometer to help me determine the sweetness and ABV of the final product?

Just wanted to say that I tried this same recipe but I used muscadine and it turned out GREAT!!! It was VERY potent. I don't know what the ABV was because my hydrometer was broken. After a couple sips, I was ready to go to bed. Let's just say that I was feeling "relaxed".

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Without experimenting nothing new or interesting will ever be discovered or created.

Latest posts

Back