How to - F Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any information on how to make an F-pack. I know I've seen it somewhere, but can't find it. I will apologize now for it being right under my nose and me not seeing it>
smiley9.gif

Take 20-30% of the amount of fruit used in fermentation...

Simmer on stove about 20 min (low simmer)

Strain.....

Simmer down liquid by 2/3rds....

F-Pack

Yep, that be it! I add most a little sugar to mine but do most of the sweetening with a simple syrup separately.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">F-PAC <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">How to make a F-PAC[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">=[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Flavor Pac[/B]
Add 20-30% of #’s of fruit what was used in the primary <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">(if you used 30# in recipe then you will need 6-9# more for the f-pac) [/I]in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Tom

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
and
DELANCO VINEYARDS<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, but do you simmer the fruit only in enough water to cover it? I am going to try this and thatis why I am wanting to find out exactly how it is done. Thanks for the answers, John.

no the fruit will make some juice. add enough water to barelycover the bottom of the pan. As the fruit breaks down it will make a thick juice. If you see you added to much water simmer it off.

Today I madea f-pac with store bought (Costco) and started with a little over 1/2 gallon and simmered it dowm to a little over a pint. "Taste" the mix You will see how strong the flavor will get

tepe said:
no the fruit will make some juice. add enough water to barelycover the bottom of the pan. As the fruit breaks down it will make a thick juice. If you see you added to much water simmer it off.

Today I madea f-pac with store bought (Costco) and started with a little over 1/2 gallon and simmered it dowm to a little over a pint. "Taste" the mix You will see how strong the flavor will get

Tom, couple questions.

If making wine from juice would I just buy an extra gallon of the same juicefor making an f-pac later?

I make the usual simple syrup 2 part sugar/ 1 part water. Could I just remove required amount of wine and heat that up and add double the sugar to that for back sweetening?Also could we just add the proper amount of sager to the f-pac we're making while its still hot?

Tom, couple questions.

If making wine from juice would I just buy an extra gallon of the same juicefor making an f-pac later?

YES Thats what I did for my "Costco" juice. Simmer by at least 60% of starting volume for a f-pac

I make the usual simple syrup 2 part sugar/ 1 part water. Could I just remove required amount of wine and heat that up and add double the sugar to that for back sweetening?Also could we just add the proper amount of sager to the f-pac we're making while its still hot?

I would not.
F-pac from "juice" should be simmered dowm to flash off the water leaving the flavor
Making simple syrup I always make at least 4 quarts ahead and add.
Remember F-pacs are mostly added to fruit wines. That said there is alot of sediment and will leave plenty of "head space".

If you were making wine from juice, could you just use a concentrated juice for a F-Pac?

Just be careful what type of pan you use for the cooking. DO NOT use aluminum!!!! The acid in fruit, rhubarb for example, will leave a very metallic taste in the syrup.
smiley11.gif

I found an enamel 3 or 4 quart pan with lid at the local hardware store that works great.

Latest posts

Back