How much equipment have you got?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
Just wondering...

I have:

(2) 6 gallons carboys
(2) 5 gallons Carboys
(1) 5 gallon fermenting pail
(1) Tripple scale Hydrometre (somewhere in this house, kids thought it would be fun to hide it)

Need to get a new siphoning tube and a bottle filler. I bought a kit used and well those things weren't working.:slp

Hoping to find more good deals on more carboys because there are soo many wine I want to try.

Last edited:
I would say NOT enough. But my wife is saying otherwise. Either way, Wade and Running Wolf kinda have the market locked up. I want to be the first at one of their yard sales come spring.

Lets see;
30 something 6 gallon carboys
8 5 gallon carboys
1 50 gallon primary
1 15 gal primary
150+ gallons aging
15+ 6 gal plastic pails
Italian floor corker
Boun Vino Bottle filler
Boun Vino Filter
1,000+ corks
close to 2,000 FULL bottles

where do you want me to stop?

Last edited:
Here's my gear list:

Three 7-gallon carboys
Three 5-gallon carboys
Four 1-gallon jugs
One 1/2 gallon jug
Two 7-gallon primary buckets
Several airlocks and bungs
Two racking tubes and wands
One bottle filling wand
Two hand corkers
One Italian floor corker
Various chemicals
An army of bottles and #9 corks
A couple of carboy brushes and a bottle brush
A hydrometer
A wing-style bottle capper and caps

That's it so far.

Best regards.

That's a good start.
I have (I think) 13 carboys, four 7.9 gallon fermentors, a 10-gallon fermenter, bunches of bungs and stoppers of different sizes, a vacuum pump, manual bottle filler (I'm a holdout), nice floor corker, hoses and hoses, couple dozen airlocks, several gallon jugs, wine filter, ...etc. I could go on for awhile here. However, I have been doing this for a little longer time.

As time goes by, what you once considered an optional piece of equipment will suddenly become an absolute necessity. Trust me! Nice thing is you can acquire extra equipment a little at a time.

If you intend to make any of the Mosti Mondiale premium kits, you might want to get a 10 gallon fermentor bucket. At least you should get a 7.9 gallon fermentor bucket. On the 7.9 bucket, order at least one with a spicket, so you can use it to help fill your bottles until you get an automatic stop bottle filler, later on. (Yep, someday you will see an auto filler as a necessity. My being a holdout is almost done!!!)

Need a spray bottle to spray kmeta sanitizer solution and a gallon jug so you can make the solution a gallon at a time. (I have two sprayer and jug sets - one set for kmeta, one for StarSan.)

Got to have a small bucket so you cab wash things in it.

A thermometer is pretty much a necessity.

Need a couple of 1.7 liter wine bottles around to hold excess wine. Gets bungs to fit them and airlocks for them.

Get a clear 1 to 2 liter sealable container to hold your lees/sediment after racking. Put the lees/sediment in it and seal it. In a few days to a week, it will settle again allowing you to save about one extra bottle of wine each time you rack. (I sometimes can recover 2 full bottles.)

Get a brew belt. If not already, you will certainly need one unless you live in Florida or South Texas. You won't be able to degas properly without one.

A bottle brush and carboy brush.

I am sure I have missed some other equipment.

Last edited:
OOPS. How could I have forgotten Tom.......When is your yard sale?

LOL
NEVER !

Yes I get all my chemicals by the pound
Yes I have 50 or so airlocks
Yes I have 8-10 1 gallon carboys.

Should I really continue?

Way too much to list here! Not nearly as many carboys as Tom and I dont think anybody can touch that with a ten foot pole but I have a lot more testing equipment and I have a crusher/destemmer, press, and my Hanna S02 titrator is on its way to my house this week. Just got my magnetic stirrer tonight. If anyone needs one of those below is a link to a great guy to buy them from. he makes them himself, the warranty cant be beat and the price cant be beat. Shipping was like 2 days and I couldnt be happier!

http://www.stirstarters.com/index.html

carboys
(12) 6 gallon
(17) 5 gallon
(6) 3 gallon
(2) 7 gallon
(17) 1 gallon
(8) half gallon

Primaries
one 20 gallon and and a ton of regular primary pails.

1000 corks and four corkidores

40 cases of bottles cleaned, seperated and delabeled. Probably picking up 25-40 more cases tomorrow.
20 cases of ice wine bottles (new or cleaned)
Wine in progress - look at My signature
Wine bottled - I refuse to count
Varieties made (mostly 6 gal batches) at least 86 not counting anything made twice or more
Chemicals by the pound
Not listing hardware, equipment, meters, chemistry stuff or first born. (read my posts) too much to list

You can have all the equipment in the world but but it doesn't compare to Wades and Tom's knowledge.

All this and only one bad batch because I SCREWED UP not washing a primary out good enough after making Jalapeno. I am not bragging but complimenting this forum because everything I learned was from here. I do not like to read books.

Last edited:
Dan, Im so with you on not reading books!!!!!!!!!! :) I never learned much by reading anyways, Im a hands on guy myself. I dont know maybe its A.D.S. or something but I either just cant sit still while reading or fall right asleep! I dont have a problem doing anything else, just reading!

Last edited:
I guess I'll give it a go.
4 - 6 gallon carboys
7- 5 gallon carboys
5 - 1 gallon jugs
Several boxes and pouches of various fining and stabilizing chemicals
several triple scale hydrometers
a refractometer
acid titration kit
various cappers and corkers and corks
wine press
3 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets and a few 3 to 5 gallon ones.
roughly 40 gallons of wine aging in bulk.
a few hundred bottles aging on the racks.
not enough bottles that are already cleaned out and ready to use again. haha

Last edited:
Lets see;
30 something 6 gallon carboys
8 5 gallon carboys
1 50 gallon primary
1 15 gal primary
150+ gallons aging
15+ 6 gal plastic pails
Italian floor corker
Boun Vino Bottle filler
Boun Vino Filter
1,000+ corks
close to 2,000 FULL bottles

where do you want me to stop?

Amazing!!!

Way too much to list here! Not nearly as many carboys as Tom and I dont think anybody can touch that with a ten foot pole but I have a lot more testing equipment and I have a crusher/destemmer, press, and my Hanna S02 titrator is on its way to my house this week. Just got my magnetic stirrer tonight. If anyone needs one of those below is a link to a great guy to buy them from. he makes them himself, the warranty cant be beat and the price cant be beat. Shipping was like 2 days and I couldnt be happier!

Thanks Wade,

Just added that to my equipment list.

9-5 gallon carboys
1-7 gallon
2 -6 gallon
3 -3 gallon
10-1 gallon
4-1/2 gallon
1 7.9 gallon primary
6 - 6 gallon primary
Phep5 Ph meter
Vacuum pump and filter set up
Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter
Various beakers and pipettes

Not enough equipment.....

I have lots of stuff, read a little, and know what I need to. I use grapes by the ton and have stock in the chemical companies.........................

carboys
(12) 6 gallon
(12) 5 gallon
(6) 3 gallon
(2) 7 gallon
(17) 1 gallon
(8) half gallon

Primaries
nothing over the normal 7.9 gallon and I ain't counting because there are too damn many stacked up

1000 corks and four corkidores

40 cases of bottles cleaned, seperated and delabeled. Probably picking up 25-40 more cases tomorrow.
20 cases of ice wine bottles (new or cleaned)
Wine in progress - look at My signature
Wine bottled - I refuse to count
Varieties made (mostly 6 gal batches) at least 86 not counting anything made twice or more
Chemicals by the pound
Not listing hardware, equipment, meters, chemistry stuff or first born. (read my posts) too much to list

You can have all the equipment in the world but but it doesn't compare to Wades and Tom's knowledge.

All this and only one bad batch because I SCREWED UP not washing a primary out good enough after making Jalapeno. I am not bragging but complimenting this forum because everything I learned was from here. I do not like to read books.

Oh look... something shiny!!!
*swipes several cases and runs*

I have to practically beg for bottles... But just found out yesterday one of my local wineries is selling brand new bottles for $7 per case. I guess they do that to help them make their numbers? I average $4 for a used case around here when I'm desperate for bottles... so $7 for less work is awesome for me!

Just got my magnetic stirrer tonight. If anyone needs one of those below is a link to a great guy to buy them from. he makes them himself, the warranty cant be beat and the price cant be beat. Shipping was like 2 days and I couldnt be happier!

I use my magnetic stirrer way more then I ever imagined. TA testing, s02 testing etc. If I needed another one I would get this in a heartbeat I thought I got a killer deal at $75.00 and this is almost half of that. This is the first I saw this deal and neither Wade nor I have any connections to that site.

Wade is there any advantage to using this in making a yeast starter for wine?

Off the top of my head...which doesn't always cooperate with me....

2 x 6 gal primary
1 x 7 gal primary
2 x 6 gal carboys
20 x 1 Gal glass jugs
2 x 45 Gal primary
wine thief
auto-siphon
siphon
carboy cleaner (the one that goes on the drill)
Buon Vino mini jet filter
beakers (20, 50, 250, 400 ml)
flasks (250 ml)
cylinders (100 ml, 2000 ml)
Corning magnetic stirrer
triple scale hydometer
ABV hydrometer
Fizzex degasser
Avvinatore
brew belt
Portuguese floor corker
Orion pH meter