How much do you drink while bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I find it way to easy to put the bottling wand directly into my glass while bottling. Needless to say I usually only get 29 bottles out of a kit ;). Just curios if anyone else has this problem?

I am fond of the Allinonewinepump and I can barely find time to drink while bottling, as bottling is so quick and easy. I will usually get 30 bottles and what ever is left in the carboy I will add to my glass.

I find it way to easy to put the bottling wand directly into my glass while bottling. Needless to say I usually only get 29 bottles out of a kit ;). Just curios if anyone else has this problem?

I definitely put the wand into my glass. However, my carboys are pretty large. I generally get 31 full bottles, plus a few glasses for me and a few for the missus. I haven't yet dipped into the batch enough to fail to fill the 31st bottle, but time will tell!

It really depends on how many batches I am bottling simultanously. I use the allinonewine pump and the whole house filter. I don't like to mix dark with light wine so I dump the wine left in the filter after each batch (about a pint). I also backsweeten nearly every batch so there is always some tasting along with that. So probably 2 glasses per batch. Bottling is my favorite part. I get tipsy everytime!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I don't "drink wine" while bottling. I find that doing so compromises my ability to work efficiently and accurately and could invite disaster. I do, however, perform the all important and necessary "in process, QA evaluations" as I am bottling to assure that the wine is consistent from the top to the bottom of the carboy. I would estimate that 2/3 of a bottle may be relegated to such evaluations and I normally yield about 30 bottles from a 6 gallon carboy and 25 from a 5 gallon carboy. :)

I learned pretty early on (bottling my first kit) to take it easy on those bottomless glasses during bottling. If I remember correctly I'd fill a bottle then a little splash in my glass. Repeat 28 or 29 times and next thing you know Lori is suggesting perhaps a nap would be a good idea. If you've ever woke at 6:30 on a saturday night not sure if it's AM or PM you'd revise your bottling procedures too!

But of course you have to have a glass or two...
Mike

Nope, not me. What I do with the overidge depends on how much I get. If its just a glass or two it will get drunk that night. I'll sometimes have a 375ML bottle laying around and I'll fill it. Any overage on the 375 will again go into a wine glass and be consumed that evening.

I would be happy to get 29 bottles out of a kit, but my wife helps and that means two mouths to feed :)

I did learn after the first bottling to try to hold back until towards the end. Nothing like dancing around the bottles after a couple of glasses. The good new is that with two of us it doesn't take long. I also try to rack other kits on the same night as bottling so I use some of the bottle kit to top off other carboys.

None, I am too busy to drink while bottling. Now afterwards that is another story, all those partial bottles at the end got to go somewhere.

None.
I go from carboy to bottles (with help from AIO) very quickly and effeciently.

Once I have everything in a bottle, if there is an uneven amount in a bottle, I drink it!

But I never want to drink some and then find out that, that exact amount would have topped off and completed bottle.

I just drink what I have to if I'm tasting and backsweetening. If I overdo it, everything starts tasting pretty good. People ask me which wine is the best and I tell them the third glass.

Usually a lot. Hard to keep track with multiple varietals and glasses being set all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

It is a well known fact that failure to perform "QA" tests, as Rocky describes, guarantees failure of the finished wine. All I will say is I never bottle in the morning and I rarely have a failure.

Drinking while bottling? Rarely. But afterward, the dregs from the bottom of the carboy have to be put to good use...

Just the leftovers for me. And I hope it's at least 2 glasses to pay back for the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

We generally bottle two batches of similar wine at at time. It's not uncommon to end up with a bottle of "blend" which mitigates discretionary consumption. Somewhere between Rocky, Elmer and Spaniel technique the spoils are tested, judged and otherwise dispatched with in an appropriate fashion. Short story... 2-3 glasses.

I usually bottle early in the morning, so I'm drinking coffee. But I make careful preparations for the 'excess' and usually have that with lunch.

Of course, having just said that, I bottled a batch this evening. I almost always rack before bottling, whether I need to or not. So the leftovers from that racking (about a glass) were about 50% consumed during bottling. And, of course, the remnants from bottling were also consumed.

I don't drink at all when bottling, but I purposely plan to bottle on an evening when I plan to have a few. After bottling thirty bottles from a kit batch there is usually close to a liter left over - that is the vintner's reward. I usually don't have trouble getting a volunteer to assist me with bottling as the reward is usually 2-3 glasses of very nice wine for each of us.

Back